Interview questions for Electrical Engineer

CrackJack

Joined Aug 7, 2009
Hello all,
I don't know if I am posting in the correct forum or not,
but I would like to know what are the critical questions that could be asked for a telephonic interview for the post of Entry Level Electrical Engineer..

I was told that the interview would be based on circuits, signals and schematics...

Can anyone please share their interview experiences???

Thanks in advance..

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
I am third year student at university, I have been to an interview for a 3 month placement but they didn't ask anything with technical content. They were looking at my CV and were asking questions depending on what is written on the CV. Maybe this because I am student.

CrackJack

Joined Aug 7, 2009
Ya,
Since it was an internship program, they must not have asked much,
but I am applying for a fulltime job... So, expecting tonnes of questions..

CrackJack

Joined Aug 7, 2009
Yes, I did that...

But can you please tell what were your preference to emphasize on...??

As in, which sections of study would you consider the most important to go through??

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Your experience will be different.

You should first determine what the product line(s) of the prospective company is/are, which will help to determine what areas to concentrate on.

If you don't know anything about their products, you better dive right into any and all documentation that you can find about them. If they have very broad product lines, you should at least be familiar with them in general terms, but pick out several that hold your interest; particularly those that could be products that you may be involved with.

If you know nothing about their products, you will appear to not be very interested in getting a job at their company.

CrackJack

Joined Aug 7, 2009
Your experience will be different.

You should first determine what the product line(s) of the prospective company is/are, which will help to determine what areas to concentrate on.

If you don't know anything about their products, you better dive right into any and all documentation that you can find about them. If they have very broad product lines, you should at least be familiar with them in general terms, but pick out several that hold your interest; particularly those that could be products that you may be involved with.

If you know nothing about their products, you will appear to not be very interested in getting a job at their company.
Alright, thanks a lot for the advice... :) the company is lab126, a smaller company owned by amazon.com, they have manufactured Kindle...

shall go into detail about the same...

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Over here (not for technical jobs) I get asked the same questions every time.
Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
What are your bad points?
Why do you want to work here?

These questions seem pointless but really they are a chance to mention how you are capable of some parts of the job specification.

I hate interviews.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
In 5 years you see yourself continuing your education to further yourself and the company you work for.

My bad points are, I work too hard at things, and will continue the constructive thought process long after I punch out, when I should be working on my hobbies, or golf swing.

I want to work here because I have always wanted to work for a place who values technology and personality as highly as I do.

That usually does it.

Ghar

Joined Mar 8, 2010
One interesting question I got was about the difference between tantalum and ceramic capacitors.
Another was about what to do with transistors when switching an inductive load.

Of course I also got asked about my projects.

kingdano

Joined Apr 14, 2010
a good one to use if they ask what your flaws are...

im a perfectionist and sometimes will spend too much time trying to make things work JUST so when i should be focusing on the next task.

in engineering the devil is in the details - and employers know this, even though (most) students do not.

if they ask why you think thats a flaw, tell them that it always takes you 2 or 3 times as long as other students to finish a lab because you are never satisfied until it is perfect.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
if they ask why you think thats a flaw, tell them that it always takes you 2 or 3 times as long as other students to finish a lab because you are never satisfied until it is perfect.
I would not use that if the preceding question was:

"How well do you handle deadlines?" ;)

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Sorry, had to throw that in there. Its part of my mood swinging optimist pessimist personality blended with years of bad jokes .