Options to contribute financially to the site

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
A new member wondered why there was no option to contribute financially to the forum.

I thought that was rather curious myself. Advertising alone can't pay for the site.

If financing for the site isn't a concern, then perhaps a small icon could be devoted for contributing to a politically neutral worthwhile cause, somewhere on the page.

Just a thought.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Agreed. A bandwidth and server cost offset, or a general worldwide aid fund. Or both.

Once the monthly bills are paid, the overage would be donated.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Some time ago Bill_Marsden also asked how the forum is supported:
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=19223

I have seen a forum where you could "buy" a tiltle.
For example:
donate 5 euro a year : bronze member
donate 10 euro a year : silver member
donate 20 euro a year : golden member
donate 50 euro a year : platina member

Greetings,
Bertus

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Is there a problem that needs to be addressed? What is the magnitude of the problem?

The thread link from bertus implies costs were being offset adequately by the current mechanism, but times change. If there is a problem, I would prefer any remedy that would avoid the level of advertising present on other sites. I feel creating levels of membership in recognition of the amount donated is a slippery slope.

John

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I would prefer any remedy that would avoid the level of advertising present on other sites. I feel creating levels of membership in recognition of the amount donated is a slippery slope.

John
Agreed. Like politicians, buying 'status' is never a good thing.

How about a little badge icon for "donor"? Regardless if it was .50 cents or $50,000 dollars.

That may encourage donation.

or. no badge at all. You know who you are, and what you've done.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The donation scheme is what I saw at a dutch forum.
I think it is not so well for our forum.
For me there needs not to be a "donor" badge.
I just like it here as it is, clean and friendly.

Greetings,
Bertus

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Maybe guest are doing us a favor by not signing up,70,000
plus thousands at a .01 cent pre hit would add up,thank you
guest,Carry on Mate.

crshman

Joined Mar 10, 2008
I too would like to know where to donate. The "book" that this site has made available is invaluable to my learning. I'd like to show my gratitude in some way.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
crshman,thanks for signing in for a noble cause.There has been no hint
of money problems from the management,most likely good management
by adminstrators.

crshman

Joined Mar 10, 2008
Yeah I normally just lurk and read, been around for a while though.

Yes, it would appear that the management is great, but I want to feel warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I donated my part =)

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
Hi guys,

I do appreciate the interest. The ads surprisingly do cover server costs (ironically I suggest installing Adblock to all of my friends and family). The server seems to be holding up quite fine, so unless we suddenly need some major upgrades I'd prefer AAC does not accept monetary donations.

Rob

mkbutan

Joined Sep 30, 2008
I too would like to know where to donate. The "book" that this site has made available is invaluable to my learning. I'd like to show my gratitude in some way.

some old saying
"Don't take the LESSON with you , share the KNOWLEDGE with other's from that LESSON"

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Rifaa, which browser do you use? Firefox hardly has any problems with adblock. I 've been using it for the last few versions. It really improves the browsing experience. *NO* pop-ups appear any more.