Romanian translation of "Lessons in Electric Circuits"

Mihai Olteanu

Joined Oct 31, 2009
The Romanian translation of "Lessons in Electric Circuits", known under the name of "Introducere in circuite electrice si electronice", can be found at the following adress:

http://www.circuiteelectrice.ro/

For romanian translators: if you want to participate in the further translation of the book, please contact me or drop a line
For the "would-be" translators in other languages: if you want to start your own translation, please drop a line if you have any questions

Other issues, suggestions and problems regarding the translation process will be laid down in new posts in the future.

Mihai

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
This sounds like an ambitions project! I'll have to see if any of my countless Romanian in-laws and outlaws might be interested in this. :)

(Interesting point for y'all. Romanian is the closest living language to ancient Latin! If you have studied Latin, you can probably wobble your way through Romanian...at least the reading part. :) )

Eric

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
You gotta love it. How are you going to keep up on updates?

I looked at the site, it's all Greek, er, Romanian to me.

Did you keep the volume layout?

Mihai Olteanu

Joined Oct 31, 2009

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I've got several articles in process for the experiments right now, and I wrote the ESD article (it needs a minor rewrite).

The articles are The 555 Projects, which is a work in progress.

There is an expression in English, "It's all Greek to me", it means I don't understand a word of it. I was making a lame attempt at humor.

I hope this project is a success. If you're experience is anything like ours, you'll get a lot of corrections involving one letter, some involving one word, and a few that actually address content. :D

Mihai Olteanu

Joined Oct 31, 2009
I was thinking more on the "how do you keep track of revisions and corrections" side, a question that arose several times during the translation process. One-word corrections are not a problem (I have a lot of those, I'm sure), but what about (technical) "content" changes on the original site, how can one keep track of those? I can't just re-read the whole book every once-in-a-while. Isn't there a subversioning system that can be put in place? A lot of work (I guess), but it's just a question.

There is an expression in English, "It's all Greek to me", it means I don't understand a word of it. I was making a lame attempt at humor.
Sorry if I didn't get that; I can laugh now, so that nobody gets upset :p

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I think a tracking mechanism for revisions would be a good addition. Simply adding a Rev. <date> to each section or chapter in the index would facilitate that. Of course, a minor correction of a typo could be excluded from affecting the revision date. Any change that would affect meaning, regardless of how small, should affect the revision date. If there is a choice between associating a revision date with chapter or section, I would favor having the date associated with each section within a chapter.

Revision dates would help in maintaining translations up to date, which I see as a strong positive. It is quite flattering that the book has attained that level of interest. They would also help in identifying those copies (like have been discussed here recently) that are way out of date.

As for implementation, I would just pick a time zero and move forward. I see no need to go back and establish historical revision dates.

John

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Thanks for sharing this Mihal, I am always pleased to see translations of the LIEC text. Although I cannot read the content, it appears as though you are making good progress with the translation of the material. Like others I think a revision tracker is quite important to ensure you can keep on top of the material as corrections and additions are made to the master.

I hope you continue to progress well and that you can get some support for your project. Although we cannot specifically help with the translation, if you need any help, post up and we'll see what we can do.

Dave

Dcrunkilton

Joined Jul 31, 2004
I think a tracking mechanism for revisions would be a good addition. Simply adding a Rev. <date> to each section or chapter in the index would facilitate that. Of course, a minor correction of a typo could be excluded from affecting the revision date. Any change that would affect meaning, regardless of how small, should affect the revision date. If there is a choice between associating a revision date with chapter or section, I would favor having the date associated with each section within a chapter.

Revision dates would help in maintaining translations up to date, which I see as a strong positive. It is quite flattering that the book has attained that level of interest. They would also help in identifying those copies (like have been discussed here recently) that are way out of date.

As for implementation, I would just pick a time zero and move forward. I see no need to go back and establish historical revision dates.

John
See http://www.openbookproject.net//electricCircuits/log.html for a dated log of revisions, actually a date and a reference to the name of the originator listed in the contrib.html of the appropriate volume. The contrib.sml file has a description of the change, at least for small changes. However, in the case of a large number of changes, for example, by gareththegeek, I only state that numerous changes were made.

Any change no matter how minor, results in the minor change date being updated. The major update date, above it, is only updated for additions to the text-- sections chapters, etc.

Mihai Olteanu

Joined Oct 31, 2009
See http://www.openbookproject.net//electricCircuits/log.html for a dated log of revisions, actually a date and a reference to the name of the originator listed in the contrib.html of the appropriate volume. The contrib.sml file has a description of the change, at least for small changes. However, in the case of a large number of changes, for example, by gareththegeek, I only state that numerous changes were made.

Any change no matter how minor, results in the minor change date being updated. The major update date, above it, is only updated for additions to the text-- sections chapters, etc.
Thank you for you reply. I do have some questions though, so let's take an actual example:

1. I go to http://www.openbookproject.net//electricCircuits/log.html

2. I see this change for example: Volume 3, Chapters: 4 Modified 12/05/2009 (DC) -- See waynerr@allaboutcircuits.com, See CONTRIBUTORS LIST.

3. I go to volume 3, chapter 4 - semiconductors, bipolar junction transistors - (by the way, what does (DC) after the "modified" date mean?!)

4. Where can I see the change ? Is there a CONTRIBUTOR LIST that I'm missing?

Thank you for your time! :)

Mihai Olteanu

Joined Oct 31, 2009
I've been changing the tables display format, using HTML tags instead of the images, like here, for example (I know, it's all greek :D, but just scroll down a bit).

The code for the first table, looks like this:

Rich (BB code):
<table>
    <tr>
        <th>Mărime</th>
        <th>R<sub>1</sub></th>
        <th>R<sub>2</sub></th>
        <th>R<sub>3</sub></th>
        <th>Total</th>
        <th>Unitate</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>E</td>
        <td></td>
        <td></td>
        <td></td>
        <td>45</td>
        <td>V</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>I</td>
        <td></td>
        <td></td>
        <td></td>
        <td></td>
        <td>A</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>R</td>
        <td>5k</td>
        <td>10k</td>
        <td>7.5k</td>
        <td></td>
        <td>Ω</td>
    </tr>
</table>
Maybe it's a bit too long, but it replaces the images (less space) and looks much better.

I was wondering if someone was interested in replacing this in the English version also, the only change would be to retranslate

Rich (BB code):
<th>Mărime</th>
and
Rich (BB code):
<th>Unitate</th>
back into English.

Apart from that, I could offer you the whole HTML code as far as AC - Chapter 5 (as of this post).

Have a nice day!