You May Also Like: in the Forum does not do a context search for articles.

Raymond Genovese

Joined Mar 5, 2016
At the end of a Forum post, there is the section, “Related Forum Posts” that links other Forum threads that appear to result from a context search of the post’s subject.

That section is followed by the “You May Also Like” section that provides links to articles, but they do not appear to result from a similar context search.

To further illustrate; here and here show threads in which I responded with a link to, what I thought, was an article relevant to the post’s topic.

But, the results from the “You May Also Like” links in these cases did not seem to at all be relevant to the forum post topic.

Would it not be beneficial if that section would have found those or other relevant links through a similar context search?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
"Related posts" just means one word in the title is similar.
"You may also like" is an advertising gimmick called, "click bait". Advertisers don't bother to do relevance searches. They just want you to click.
Would it not be beneficial
Beneficial to whom?
The people who get paid, "by the click" or the people who have to write the search code?:D

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
Thanks @Raymond Genovese - It's definitely on my very long to-do list, unfortunately it's a pretty large task to do correctly.

#12 - As much as I enjoy your continued cynicism, the "You may also like" has nothing to do with advertising. I don't think it's that crazy to think someone may actually click, read, and enjoy an article on the site.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I don't think it's that crazy to think someone may actually click, read, and enjoy an article on the site.
Look at the, "recommended articles" at the bottom of this page. None of them has anything to do with relevance or searches. Or, as the Thread Starter said,
That section is followed by the “You May Also Like” section that provides links to articles, but they do not appear to result from a similar context search.
But, the results from the “You May Also Like” links in these cases did not seem to at all be relevant to the forum post topic.
Some people might enjoy reading irrelevant recommendations, but the Thread Starter recommends improvement.

Raymond Genovese

Joined Mar 5, 2016
Thanks @Raymond Genovese - It's definitely on my very long to-do list, unfortunately it's a pretty large task to do correctly.
Yeah, ok, I understand - I just had it in my mind and wanted to get it out. I have a lot of those lists too. Some friends even bought me some notebooks to keep track of them.

BTW: I went to jrap.org - where did you get the time machine and how much was it? I want one.

Least you think I am poking fun, I believe that those will become the future "Felt Elvis'" and will be featured on Antiques Roadshow/American Pickers/Pawn Stars in ~2037. Then again, I did buy a Zune.