YAMAHA RX-V657 problem

daniel touitou

Joined Oct 19, 2017
Hi all,
I got a Receiver YAMAHA RX-V657 the capacitor C405 0.022 mf was bad it was the common problems of yamaha receivers
anyway after I replaced it the receiver turn on and shut off, I entered in diag searching for error, and found DC:007 PS:097 it's look high then what it should supposed to be. the normal should be DC:007 PS:043 I checked most of all the voltage in the power supply and it's look fine, I checked all the channels output under diag mode and it's working fine.
can any body help please ?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Hi all,
I got a Receiver YAMAHA RX-V657
I have a Yamaha RX-V663 receiver which is likely similar but I don't know how different they might be. Anyway, I have the service manual for mine. No the owner's manual, the genuine service manual that contains loads of information.

I suggest you search for the service manual for your receiver but if you cannot find it (it's never easy), send me a PM and I can e-mail you mine. It's ~28Mb. Better than nothing.

daniel touitou

Joined Oct 19, 2017
I have a Yamaha RX-V663 receiver which is likely similar but I don't know how different they might be. Anyway, I have the service manual for mine. No the owner's manual, the genuine service manual that contains loads of information.

I suggest you search for the service manual for your receiver but if you cannot find it (it's never easy), send me a PM and I can e-mail you mine. It's ~28Mb. Better than nothing.
thanks I got the service manual, but I don't understand exactly what the error message mean, DC:007 PS:097

daniel touitou

Joined Oct 19, 2017
thanks I got the service manual, but I don't understand exactly what the error message mean, DC:007 PS:097

in the service manual under the diag mode it say that should be between range of DC:007 PS:043 and what I got is DC:007 PS:097
so I don't know from here what to check more :( I checked all the channels output and it look ok, I check most of all the dc voltages and it's look ok

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
PS:097 could mean Power Supply not sure what DC:007 could mean. But, if you have one cap bad could be more in the Power Supply again I'm guessing most likely after the rectifier on the secondary side but, @wayneh will have to tell you if it's liner or SMPS maybe where to go from there, just a hunch.

kv

daniel touitou

Joined Oct 19, 2017
thanks....
yes it seem like that, but as I mentioned in my previous messages I checked most of the voltages in the power supply and they are ok
the dc:007 is ok it should be like this as the service manual say :) the problem is the PS:097 that I don't understand exactly what it mean, what a voltage wrong and etc.... maybe you know someone with more experience with yamaha receiver ?

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I'm working on an Onkyo right now for a friend does the same thing. If something is shorted or is not sending the correct information to the CPU it will kill startup. In my case he shorted one channel while the receiver was on "Thus" Shorting the final stage to the output, this also took a resistor in circuit with one of the push pull Transistors, I still have to check the Zener diode in the circuit as well as the pre-amps. Finally if you know how in the Manual should show you how to do a manual reset if it experiences any other odd stuff after you find the issue.

Again, as I said before if you don't know what PS means I would stay in the Power Supply regardless if it's not oscillating correctly it will cause a shut down, I've seen this in some Samsung 27" Monitors. The issue was bad caps. If you had an ESR Meter that can check them in the board is good otherwise you'll need to pull them one by one.

kv

Last edited:

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Regardless of what you've measured, it seems from the above that the PS:097 display (i.e. one outside the normal 36 to 49 range) indicates that the diagnostics unit thinks there is a power supply error. Perhaps the diagnostics unit itself is faulty?

daniel touitou

Joined Oct 19, 2017
Regardless of what you've measured, it seems from the above that the PS:097 display (i.e. one outside the normal 36 to 49 range) indicates that the diagnostics unit thinks there is a power supply error. Perhaps the diagnostics unit itself is faulty?
thanks....
well maybe,,,, but all other functions work well under the diag mode so I don't think the diad is the problem, the question is what PS:097mea=what exactly voltage wrong if you see what I mean!

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
the question is what PS:097mea=what exactly voltage wrong if you see what I mean!
There may be nothing actually wrong with any supply voltage, but if, say, an A/D converter input of a MCU is monitoring voltages then any voltage above the MCU supply voltage would need to be attenuated before it's fed to the A/D pin. If there is a fault with the attenuator (e.g. a resistor open/short circuit) then the MCU will register an error voltage.
This is all hypothetical, of course, as I have no knowledge of how the diagnostics are done in your Yamaha unit.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
ok thanks,anyways:)
Maybe you should consult the manufacturer "How to manually reset the receiver to factory defaults" or ask a service company, I'm sure they won't care to much for that info.

In the end game they might get your business if your unable to find and correct the problem. Just saying, good luck.

kv:)

daniel touitou

Joined Oct 19, 2017
Maybe you should consult the manufacturer "How to manually reset the receiver to factory defaults" or ask a service company, I'm sure they won't care to much for that info.

In the end game they might get your business if your unable to find and correct the problem. Just saying, good luck.

kv:)
Hi,,, I still got patients to solve the problem all what I need is a little more focus on the error, mean some gide where exactly the problem located :)

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010

Here's an interesting video, wrong model Number but, maybe you can gleen something from the video.

kv

Edit: He thought replacing that cap would change the voltage in the end but it didn't, more like corrected the frequency or something.

Last edited: