Yamaha CVP-50 piano repair

Srijal97

Joined Mar 19, 2021
Hi, thanks heaps. Yes I would like to revisit this unit. Its currently put away in my shed. I'm in the process of building a new shed. This will allow me to set up a decent test area. (Having this monster in the house, was a drag, plus it weighs a proverbial ton) Did you actually get your unit working ? Thanks for the offer, awesome. Hope you are still around.

Today I am back because I am working on a new fault finding project. One which I need a little help with. Its repairing a Roland VS-880 Digital 8 track. I am getting all my information together first before posting. Hope to see you on here.

Thanks again Steve
Hello Steve,

It has been a long time this post has been dead, but I need your help!

I have got my hands on a Yamaha CVP-50, exactly like yours, but it is mostly working. There is a noise output on the sound of all keys and I believe it could be an issue with the power circuitry or amplifier. Video here: (11) Yamaha Clavinova CVP-50 Output Noise - YouTube

All functions work, it just appears to be a problem with the sound output on both the speakers and headphones.

I am a young Electronics Engineer and a graduate student, and I was hoping to get the Technical Service manual containing the schematics and other information that you posses. The link you have posted earlier in this thread has long expired. If you do get this message, then please could you share that with me? It would be a huge help!

Thank you for your time!

Sincerely,
Srijal

Hello Steve,

It has been a long time this post has been dead, but I need your help!

I have got my hands on a Yamaha CVP-50, exactly like yours, but it is mostly working. There is a noise output on the sound of all keys and I believe it could be an issue with the power circuitry or amplifier. Video here: (11) Yamaha Clavinova CVP-50 Output Noise - YouTube

All functions work, it just appears to be a problem with the sound output on both the speakers and headphones.

I am a young Electronics Engineer and a graduate student, and I was hoping to get the Technical Service manual containing the schematics and other information that you posses. The link you have posted earlier in this thread has long expired. If you do get this message, then please could you share that with me? It would be a huge help!

Thank you for your time!

Sincerely,
Srijal
I have an overall diagram for that piano and some service notes from other techs on repairs that they made.
This line of Yamaha pianos had issues with circuit board connections when they got older. Small traces and board via's (feed throughs) caused many issue. One such issue was no boot up, no display because data was being interrupted between i.c.'s. The LED display is sometimes blank because it's driver itsn't being run. You can start with an inspection of the board looking for obvious problems like contamination on traces that have eaten them or broken them. This is a time consuming problem, and most of them are considered unreasonable repairs. I have had 2 this last year and only managed a partial repair on 1.
I am not that familiar with this forum, but I assume you can PM me and I will see it.
Thanks

Attachments