Wormholes

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I like science because we do not have all the answers. I keep an open mind, we are nowhere near having perfect information.

In explaining how a field "got around" what would normally stop them we might even learn something new. Monopoles were a mathematical abstraction until we found examples in nature.

It will probably be bogus, but not all new science is.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I like science because we do not have all the answers. I keep an open mind, we are nowhere near having perfect information.
I have open mind too but not so open my brain falls out. I wish POPSCI would stop using terms like Wormholes for something that's just as cool being called a magnetic guide or magnetic conduit. The EM inside a wave-guide is 'invisible' too to an outside observer but we don't push the limits of science by calling it a Wormhole when EM energy moves from a transmitter to antenna 100's of meters away.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
This proves that you indeed have brains, my friend... those that are unafraid of having a completely open mind probably behave that way because they have nothing to lose...
I wouldn't go that far. Most of the people have a wonder for science and new things that being abused for ad revenue and are asking people who should know better for a sexy hype headline top the article about something they have devoted years of hard work on. It's how the POPSCI game is played. Rub mine, scratch yours.

Last edited:

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I wouldn't go that far. Most of the people a wonder for science and new things that being abused for ad revenue and are asking people who should know better for a sexy hype headline top the article about something they have devoted years of hard work on. It's how the POPSCI game is played. Rub mine, scratch yours.
Right... they have to sell their article. And who can blame them gor that?

I remember an article in a 1960's volume of the Popular Mechanics magazine whose headline read something very similar to "Meet the completely automated house"... it was about a garage door that was operated with a remote!...

But what the heck... who am I to judge them... even @#12's already accused me for my own sensationalistic headlines in this very same forum! :confused::D