Workshops

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
... and here I was happy with my dmm, frequency counter and my pc oscilloscope...:rolleyes:

That is a nice collection!

Sorry to hear about your friend. :(

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I'm sorry to hear about your friend too. I have simpler tastes, I like to piddle with stuff.

Any ideas what I could do with an old HP120B Oscope? It was made during the 50's (I believe) and still works (but needs calibration). I really don't want to trash it, or give it to someone who will.

IMO it is a musium piece. Freq response goes to 300KHz, and unlike earlier HP120's, it has a built in sweep and trigger.

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I have a PDF copy of the manuals, user and calibration. No way am I going to touch the circuitry, especially since I have a new scope. I got the docs from another thread where the user had removed all the vacuum tubes and didn't label them. It was just like mine. I bought mine 20 years ago for $10, along with about 4 other dead units ($5 each) and a few other $10 units for my friends.

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
How would you calibrate it, then? Are they not all adjustable Rs and Cs? All you would need is a set of non-conducting adjustment tools.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Lightman, that is one sweet shop setup. If you have parts in all of the bins, that would be insane to have around. I always seem to need the one chip or item that I have to order, so I always seem to be ordering a bunch of little "extra" things just in case I need one for later. But it is a ton of fun and pretty cheap, so I just keep adding to my little bench stock as I go along. One day maybe I will have a shop like yours, I am green with envy now!!!!
Bob
This is a situation that is nearly a Fundamental Law of Nature. My home shop is in between the neat and "comfy" ones above, though I know where things are. One will always have 1 less than the needed quantity of any given component.

When you have just a few parts, you expect to not have everything, so it isn't a big deal. When you have a lot of parts, you only think you have everything, which is worse. Most often, it is a matter of having an SOIC instead of a DIP in a breadboard project or something.

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
Hi Daniel, Sorry to hear about your freind. My wife is at a loss as to what she would do with my gear if i fell off the perch, non of my familly are interested in electronics.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
How would you calibrate it, then? Are they not all adjustable Rs and Cs? All you would need is a set of non-conducting adjustment tools.
Like I said, musium piece. I'm sure there are adjustable components, I'm not too sure whether they would work.

lightingman

Joined Apr 19, 2007
Hi Daniel, Sorry to hear about your freind. My wife is at a loss as to what she would do with my gear if i fell off the perch, non of my familly are interested in electronics.
The problem that my friends wife is having is with the house... Bryan was a genius when it came to programming embeded systems. He has two Allen Braddly systems controling the whole house. Heating, solar panels and lighting. He left no literature on it, only the main program on his laptop. I have gone through it and managed to sus out the programmimg. I now have it all working as he intended. The whole house is controled over CAT5 cables and networked. If any of you have done the same... Please take some time to sit and draw up schematics of your work.

Daniel.

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
Like I said, musium piece. I'm sure there are adjustable components, I'm not too sure whether they would work.
Bill, if it's working, put it up on ebay or tell the science teacher at the local high school its available. There is some 13 or 14 year old out there that needs a working scope. I did back 40 years ago and could not find one. Had to work a whole summer to afford a heathkit 1 mhz single trace kit. As meager as it was, it was way more than I needed at the time but I had no choice. Nothing else was available to me. Something like this (or the time adjusted equivalent) would have meant I got a car a year earlier.;)

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Bill,

If you don't want to give it away, you can always loan it out to a student, for the academic year, and have it returned at the close of the year.

I have bought laptops and gave them to college bound students with the stipulation that if they remain in school, the laptop remains in their possession. If they drop out, I get the laptop back. If they graduate, they keep the laptop.

<It is so dificult to even think about clearing his workshop, he loved it as I love mine.>

I kind of know that feeling - more later on that perhaps. I have an arrangement (though not actually formalised yet) with a younger friend of mine if I should inadvertantly go to the great lab in the sky - he is to keep what's useful to him and sell the rest on eBay on a 50/50 basis - half to my estate and half to keep for his trouble - that way at least it won't just go in the skip. Perhaps a similar arrangement would work for you ?

Love the lab BTW - excellent :) I've used a Gould 4ch DSO (with the 4 colour printer) and quite enjoyed it - for some reason I was impressed by the way it triggered very reliably at the chosen settings - we were doing single shot captures of fairly incendiary stuff so that was useful.

Anyway that's probably enough for a first post - it's getting late and I only stumbled across while looking for info on the HP 1600A and I'll probably go for something younger, wider and deeper anyway - now I've actually resigned myself to spending beer tokens on one :)

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I spend half a day hanging round a plasma T.V. repair place.
They has at least 12 T.V.'s opened up to work on. There did
not seem to have a problem with high voltage.One of the tech's
did not have a high voltage probe,he says he puts his meter
on a 1000 volts scale,if it hit's a 1000 he has his voltage. A
little strange but its his meter. He would take a heat blower
and heat the board,then cool it with freeze,he says he finds some
bad solder connections that way. They had samsung,sony, phillips.
When the customer thinks he had a power surge,I was surprized
that the power company has a form to fill out and if you convince
them you had a surge,they will pay directly.You don't have to go
thru the home owner's insurance,something new now a days.

Lightingman,

I am impressed with the Fakserscope 2500. I used the 2000 series many, many years ago (1982 I think) and have always thought of finding one to keep as a momento (I actually collect old 8 bit computers), I have thrown these things away in the past (not mine to keep) but have still to find one now. Thanks to people like you, at least a few of these things will love on.

Greg