Workbench circuit breaker

hrs

Joined Jun 13, 2014
Hi,

Is there such a thing? I think I remember reading about it in a thread here but 'circuit breaker' was not the term.

The device would be placed between the mains outlet and my flaky project. Its purpose is to reduce the odds of self-electrocution but also to not pop a fuse at the main breaker board and take out the fridge. Any ideas what such a device is called?

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Yes, there is such a thing. Having said that, I don't know if there are some for sell, or if you have to make it. I've seen schematics. I would try "electronic circuit breaker" or something similar. If you can't find anything, I'll do some poking around.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
A ground-fault-interrupter will protect you from electrocution to ground but will not protect against normal overloads.
For that you need a circuit-breaker.
For example, here's an outlet that has both.

hrs

Joined Jun 13, 2014
Yes, there is such a thing. Having said that, I don't know if there are some for sell, or if you have to make it. I've seen schematics. I would try "electronic circuit breaker" or something similar. If you can't find anything, I'll do some poking around.
All I found was this: http://www.stmradio.com/SettableBreaker.html I only glanced through it but maybe that's what I mean. If you have some good suggestions I'm happy to hear them!

A ground-fault-interrupter will protect you from electrocution to ground but will not protect against normal overloads.
For that you need a circuit-breaker.
For example, here's an outlet that has both.
Yes that was it (ground-fault-interrupter), and I think I read it in one of your posts :) But I guess I want both, like that cable.

Today I measured some voltages on the secondary side of my newly built toroidal transform power supply and all was well. But in the first build on a previous PSU I made a really dumb wiring mistake and tripped a fuse at the breaker board. So that's roughly the application. Or would you recommend an 1:1 isolating transformer?

hrs

Joined Jun 13, 2014
I have some power strips that have breakers in them; most of them are Tripp Lite, like this; it has a 12A circuit breaker.
It links to model number not available but I get the idea. That would be great, a power strip with a circuit breaker in it. And a ground fault interrupter.

Ok thanks all, I have some better search terms now.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Today I measured some voltages on the secondary side of my newly built toroidal transform power supply and all was well. But in the first build on a previous PSU I made a really dumb wiring mistake and tripped a fuse at the breaker board. So that's roughly the application. Or would you recommend an 1:1 isolating transformer?
A GFI should limit the current from any shock to ground to safe levels but it won't prevent you getting a nasty jolt (speaking from experience).
An isolation transformer will completely prevent any shock to ground, but it's generally more expensive.
So it's your choice.