Wooops! That was a rock!

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Why is it I feel ex-military would be much more competent?

The hospitals I've been around, I always ask where they get the pilots for their helicopters, since you can only sit by an ill relative so long without wanting to talk about something else.

The response: ALL have answered they will only even interview ex-Army Helo pilots, preferably medivac that have landed in the worse conditions possible for a helo.

In short, I agree. If everything was followed by the book, or close to the procedures, we'd have a lot fewer "accidents" with ships, aircraft, and anything responsible for hundreds of lives (or more).

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Turns out the captain of the Concordia was ministering to a 24-year-old part-time topless dancer on the bridge at the time of the rock collision, and there was also a report that the captain left the safety of deep water so he could wave at a drinking buddy standing along the shoreline of that island.

While it is not certain whether both of those activities occurred simultaneously, one would imagine that either scenario could have accounted for the disaster, and the captain's hurried departure from the full ship as it keeled over. I see some serious pokey time in that man's future.
Source For Topless Dancer

Captain took several minutes to decide if there was a problem or not (w/cabin photos @time of wreck)