With the supply voltage and current how is this many watts possible?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The flim-flam advertisers often use "peak" watts which are twice RMS (average real power) watts for audio signals.

Last edited:

ThePanMan

Joined Mar 13, 2020
I love the commercial for cell phone carriers. One of them said "Nobody has a more powerful network." And that's the truth. ALL cell phone carriers are limited to the same power. You have to be wary of HOW they say what they say. Otherwise someone's going to be selling a passenger car that can be driven with a single 9 volt transistor battery.

In short, anyone with half a brain or more should understand that under the best conditions, 12V x 3A = 36W. Under no conceivable conditions can it be any higher. Logic, physics, math - and good sense - dictates that the claim is bogus. Unless you read (or hear) it on the internet. Then you can buy cars driven with 9V batteries.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
In addition to saying the peak (double the real) power, they say the peak power when the amplifier is turned up way too high and is causing severe clipping distortion that can double the power number again. Then they multiply by any old number.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
It also delivers that MASSIVE Power through puny 22-ga. wires,
that miraculously don't melt under the strain.

"MADE-WITH".... 100% real Beef.
And then you look-up what ingredients "100%-Beef" can
"Legally" contain according to the FDA and the FTC.
They also don't mention the "other" ingredients that the "product" is "MADE-WITH".

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
If I take 50 Watts Peak and multiply by 0.707 I get 35.35 Watts RMS. If I multiply 12 volts * 3 amps I get 36 Watts. Wow isn't coincidence wonderful. It's all about smoke and mirrors.

Ron

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
If I take 50 Watts Peak and multiply by 0.707 I get 35.35 Watts RMS. If I multiply 12 volts * 3 amps I get 36 Watts. Wow isn't coincidence wonderful. It's all about smoke and mirrors.
Ron
No. If the voltage is 1.414 times more then the current also becomes 1.414 times more. Then the power becomes 1.414 times squared= twice.

The peak power has RMS voltage of 0.707 times which causes the current to also be 0.707 times less. Then the RMS power is 0.707 squared= half.

The above example of 36W from the power supply does not say if the amplifier is almost 50% efficient using class-AB then the heating is almost 18W and each channel produces 9W RMS.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
"MADE-WITH".... 100% real Beef.
So the beef that's in it is 100% real? Wonder what a cow that isn't 100% a cow would look like. So all the cow in the beef is 100%. They're not telling you that you're getting 100% beef. They're saying that all the beef is 100% beef. Even if there's only 10% beef in your burger. Or hotdog. It's like "Fat Free!" Sometimes they mean "All the fat you can eat for free."