Wisdom of the Crowd?

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
So, I gave some thought to this and came up with “Only depends on the Data Sample” right?

So, if this is true then as we move up in intelligence, do we also decrease in common sense, therefor we could say we increase in the idiot factor, no?

Or is it just trying to keep it random that we sample what we perceive as normal or general population, then move up the scale keeping the same numbers then add them all up. Probably.

Hmm, I‘m to dumb to figure it out, what’s your take on this thought experiment. LOL

kv

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
In a true democracy:

1) everyone has the right to be heard,
2) attention must be given to the needs of the minority,
3) the decision of the majority is to be followed.

and like lemmings we are all led down the path over the cliff.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
I have just been to our local shop and there's plenty of toilet paper, but the choice and quantity of bread is severely limited.
Can you make sandwiches with toilet paper?

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
as we move up in intelligence, do we also decrease in common sense,
The adage is "Book Smart, People Dumb". One of the most intelligent people I knew was Uncle Axel. Masters in Mechanical and Electrical Engineering and PhD. in Physics. Went to work for the AEC (atomic energy commission) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory after a loooong career as a student. After less than 10 years there he went to teach Theoretical Physics at a state University until his retirement. Extremely intelligent but no common sense at all and did not deal well with people.

As to Democracy. It is a fallacy that this country was founded on Democracy. It was founded by very wealthy men who only allowed other wealthy (landholders) men of the same ethnic background to vote. Wealthocracy if you will. Those with the money make the rules. It has gone through drastic change since inception and will continue to change as civil norms and lawyers continue to place their current interpretation upon the founding documents. Amending them as necessary to accommodate societal norms changes.
Sit back and enjoy the ride!

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The part the crowd will eventually get right is how to manage the risk. We accept and live with all sorts of horrible risks all the time, eg. cars. We wish it weren't so, but we take prudent countermeaures (seatbelts), and get on with our lives.

We will eventually get to an acceptable status quo with the Wuhan virus and get on with it. Perhaps the new drugs will take the wind out of this crisis. But even if they do not, we will still manage to achieve normalcy again.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Edit:

In a true democracy:

1) everyone has the right to be heard,
2) attention must be given to the needs of the minority,
3) the decision of the majority is to be followed.
4) The majority is always wrong.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
The part the crowd will eventually get right is how to manage the risk. We accept and live with all sorts of horrible risks all the time, eg. cars. We wish it weren't so, but we take prudent countermeaures (seatbelts), and get on with our lives.

We will eventually get to an acceptable status quo with the Wuhan virus and get on with it. Perhaps the new drugs will take the wind out of this crisis. But even if they do not, we will still manage to achieve normalcy again.
I am not sure. Think of AIDS. It has not gone away, but we are able to manage it where medication is available. However, as the threat of AIDS diminished, people are careless again with their choices and there is an uptick in syphilis and hepatitis as well as other STDs. I believe there is no normalcy when there is an expectation that a pill will cure all and one does not have to be personally responsible for their actions. We have seen a rise of a number of new diseases due to our push further and further into the jungle. There will be more. I highly doubt COVID is the worst of them.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009

The sooner this happens the better. The young with low risk will vote with their feet and not remain confined for long.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The sooner this happens the better. The young with low risk will vote with their feet and not remain confined for long.
It won't be long. Humans naturally have a heightened, possibly irrational fear of the unknown and an equally irrational comfort with known risks. Californians are terrified of tornadoes and barely notice small earthquakes. Midwesterners are the reverse. We have an amazing capacity to ignore risk. Young folks will adapt and get going again.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
We have seen a rise of a number of new diseases due to our push further and further into the jungle.
On the other side of the coin, to paraphrase the native Americans "You brought us what!?!?" There are millenniums of genetic and cultural evolution for Ethnocntricity and Xenophobia to have developed as human societal traits.

Welcome to the new Global Society!

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
On the other side of the coin, to paraphrase the native Americans "You brought us what!?!?" There are millenniums of genetic and cultural evolution for Ethnocntricity and Xenophobia to have developed as human societal traits.

Welcome to the new Global Society!
Dont start with the smallpox blankets. I live in a 60% all native town. We have all native basketball tournament.

Assimilate or Die! (disclamer - my rescue dog is off a rez)