Wiring web controlled I/O device

scottiejoecooper1972

Joined Sep 29, 2018
Hi, i am currently trying to wire my I/O device to automatically start my generator should my 12v Battery bank get below 12.2v.
What size and type of wire should i use between my voltage meter and the I/O device?

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
You need to give more information. For example what data protocol is being used to link your voltmeter so your I/O device and what is the distance between the two items ? Is this I/O device an off the shelf product or a unit that you have designed ?

Les.

scottiejoecooper1972

Joined Sep 29, 2018
You need to give more information. For example what data protocol is being used to link your voltmeter so your I/O device and what is the distance between the two items ? Is this I/O device an off the shelf product or a unit that you have designed ?

Les.
Hi Les, the device is offshelf. its a control by web X420-E , https://www.controlbyweb.com/x420/
I am monitoring my battery bank with a Victron Smart BMV-712. My plan is to have the X-420 monitor the state of my batteries and automatically start my generator when the battery's fall below 12.2v. The App will program it for me, i just need to know what size wire and what kind of wire i need? the distance between the two is about 50ft approx.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
I have not seen either of thes products before. I have not managed to work out what protocol will be used for the communication between the two devices. The Victron Smart BMV-712. seems to output data via either Bluetooth or WiFi. (Both of these are wireless methods.) The X420-E Has various analogue inputs.(Some could monitor the battery voltage without the use of the Victron Smart BMV-712.) The X420-E outputs data via a local network or the internet. This seems to be a complex solution for a relativly simple task.

Les.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
I don't know what ready made units are available to do what you want. If I was doing this I would build a unit based round an 8 bit Atmel or PIC microcontroller that had a bult in ADC to measure the battery voltage. This is because I am lazy and would just modify the code from either a remote battery voltage monitor (Which uses a PIC12F1840) or a timer for a battery operated light (Which uses an ATtiny13a) This shuts off the light after a preset time but also shuts it off when the battery needs recharging. It also flashes an LED to indicate that the voltage is getting close to the voltage were it will switch off the light. Both of these units use the ADC built into the microcontroller.

Les.