Wiring salvaged microphone to AUX cable for computer use

Luke Morrison

Joined Jun 3, 2015
Hi all,

I took apart an old USB headset of mine because the audio stopped working, but the mic was still working. I cut the mic out. It had two wires connecting it to the little circuit board, labeled M+ and M-.
What I want to do is solder this mic to an 3-pin AUX cable I have laying around so that I can plug it in to the AUX IN port of my laptop. I can't find any good information online as to how I should wire it. Should M+ be connected to the tip of the AUX, and M- connected to the base? Or maybe M- should be connected to the sleeve since there is no absolute ground?
Also, do I need some additional circuitry for Windows to recognize my DYI peripheral as a microphone? Am I oversimplifying this?

Thanks for any answers or help

Luke Morrison

Joined Jun 3, 2015
Ahhh that makes a lot of sense. I knew I was forgetting about something important (the bias in this case). I have some opamps laying around so I'll try that. Thank you for your insight, I'll also be reading your article

Luke Morrison

Joined Jun 3, 2015
Ignore what I said before, I understand better after reading the article. I was using a MIC (not AUX as I previously stated) socket but I never tried wiring the tip and ring of the connector together. That's the issue. Thanks again for the help