wiring RCA and TRS jacks

haditya

Joined Jan 19, 2004
hi..
i m tryin to connect my computer to the stereo. bu i cant seem to figure out the right way to connect the TRS and RCA jacks
from what i ve read i understood that the tip is for the left channel, ring for right channel.
on the rca jack the central protruding terminal is the signal carryin line

my question is should the sleeve on the TRS and the metal ring on the RCA be connectted so as to act as ground? or are the two wires of left n right channel ok?
i hav removed only two wires frm either end and before i finsh of the final wiring the need to know this

btw the TRS fits into my computer while the RCA into my stereo

Gadget

Joined Jan 10, 2006
TRS
Tip = left
Ring = right
Sleeve = Earth (outer sheath's)

RCA's
Center = Signal (left or right channel)
Outer (sleeve) = Earth braid (Outer sheath)

haditya

Joined Jan 19, 2004
yes i hav understood that
the cables available in the market seem like they hav only 2 wires .. which i presume are for caryyin the signal
since i m makin these by myself i wanna know if there are more cables within wat seems to be jus two cables on the outside.

haditya

Joined Jan 19, 2004
ok long and short of it what i need to do is construct a connector cable that connects my computer to my stereo using a trs jack at one end(computer) and 2 rca jacks at the other(stereo)
how do i do this
kindly explain like u ll explain to a total elec noob..i hav no clue on sound/acoustic systems

Gadget

Joined Jan 10, 2006
Using TWIN SHIELDED cable, strip one end exposing Both outer sheaths(shields) and both inner cores. Twist the 2 outer sheaths together and solder to the Sleeve of the TRS plug. Carefully strip the ends of the inner cores and connect one to the tip connection (normally red wire) and the other to the ring connection (white or black or clear wire).
Separate the twin shielded cable at the other end. Strip to expose sheath(shield) and core on each half. Fit RCA (shield to sleeve connection, core to centre pin) for both halves. Voila, 1 TRS plug to 2 RCA plugs

cyberkix

Joined Jun 22, 2006
Originally posted by haditya@Jun 6 2006, 10:41 PM
ok long and short of it what i need to do is construct a connector cable that connects my computer to my stereo using a trs jack at one end(computer) and 2 rca jacks at the other(stereo)
how do i do this
kindly explain like u ll explain to a total elec noob..i hav no clue on sound/acoustic systems
[post=17552]Quoted post[/post]​

This type of cable is readily available in shops right? Stereo baby plug at one end (lineout/headphone for your PC) with wire splitting into two with RCA plugs at each end (left & right channel). Basic (left/right) PC speaker system usually have this cable where each RCA end connect to a speaker.

Anyway, if you're adventurous and have already bought TRS & RCA plugs you need to consider the following for your wiring:

Where:
L - wire for left signal
R - wire for right signal
G - wire for common/ground

RCA Left : L & G
RCA Right : R & G

TRS end : L & R & G
(That is, both ground from RCA will combine as one; hence, Gadget's twin shielded cable has both outer sheaths soldered together into the TRS sleeve/ground).