Wiring question about 5050 RGB LED and controller.

Meech

Joined Jul 22, 2017
Hello, I have some cheap ebay RGB light strip controllers (attached pic). The controller has 4 pin outs, (+, R, G, and B) for connecting to 5050 LED light strips. I am trying to help a friend with a project. I want to use the RGB controller on a single 5050 RGB LED chip (attached pic). I know the polarity of the 6 pin LED chip and have calculated the resistor values needed. For the life of me, I'm drawing on a blank on how to wire ground for the circuit. Third attached pic shows how the normal connection is made to an LED strip. I know I'm missing something blindingly obvious. Do I take the negative pin leads from the LED, treat them as common cathode and wire back to the controllers negative battery lead? I would appreciate any input or clarification. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

Meech

Joined Jul 22, 2017
Pins 2,4 & 6 can be tied to common as long as the resistors are connected to the anodes.
Thank you for your response. Of course resistors will be on the anodes. Now after trying to figure this all out I guess I'm also confused on how to connect the positive lead to the circuit as the RGB lines from the controller will be going to pins 1, 3 & 5. Not sure how to tie in the positive lead.

noweare

Joined Jun 30, 2017
Thank you for your response. Of course resistors will be on the anodes. Now after trying to figure this all out I guess I'm also confused on how to connect the positive lead to the circuit as the RGB lines from the controller will be going to pins 1, 3 & 5. Not sure how to tie in the positive lead.
Need more info on the controller. It should have output lines to control the leds. Do you have a schematic or something?

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
The controller is designed for common anode, not common cathode. Connect all the anodes together to the + output of the controller, then connect the cathodes to the R, G, and B outputs of the controller, each through a separate resistor.

Bob

Meech

Joined Jul 22, 2017
The controller is designed for common anode, not common cathode. Connect all the anodes together to the + output of the controller, then connect the cathodes to the R, G, and B outputs of the controller, each through a separate resistor.

Bob
Thank you Bob! That's what i needed to know. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Now that you've explained, it makes perfect sense. I just don't know why I couldn't figure that out.