Wiring Ceramic heater element or Infrared bulb to IEC plug. Help needed!

joshd963

Joined Nov 19, 2018
Hi all,
My name is Josh & I'm just starting to get into electronics and working on some projects to further develop my skills however have reached and impasse so seeking your assistance. Nice to meet you all :)
I have some basic electronics skills from messing around with breadboards etc to wiring PA speakers and building a power distro that linked multiple pieces of equipment (low power consumption) into a single IEC outlet. That said my knowledge is still basic especially theory-wise.

I am trying to build a heating device that heats a sheet of plastic to about 160 degrees C in the shortest amount of time possible. I want to use an infrared heat source to directly heat the object. I plan to control the heat lamp with an IEC fused switch like below.

I will use an IR sensor to read the temperature so I know when to turn it off (I know how to do that bit). Later I will build a circuit that automatically switches off when it reaches temperature but that's for another time.

Below I have pictures of the heating methods I have been looking into. The first one is a 1000w ceramic heater with ring connectors, 300c-700c range. The second is a 250W IR reflector lamp bulb.

For the first option I roughly calculated I would need about 4.5 amps to power one, or 9 amps to power two. A few questions if I may on this one:
- Is it safe to wire one or two of these to the above fused IEC connector?
- Am I right in thinking that would need a 5 or 10 amp fuse depending on 1 or 2 heating elements?
- If so how would I wire it? Any ideas how I would wire one or two of these to a IEC plug and is that a safe option?

For the second, I figured I could use four to six of these bulbs in a similar setting with 5/8 amp fuses depending on number of bulbs. Could anybody suggest best way to hook up 4 of these to 1 IEC plug?

Thanks all for reading and appreciate your time taken to respond :)

Josh

Last edited:

joshd963

Joined Nov 19, 2018
Hi, thanks for responding... Sorry i had some problems with the image uploads.
Here is the connector i was planning to use, connected with a kettle lead:
josh_connector.png

This ceramic heater:
josh_heater.png

OR This infrared bulb:
josh_lamp.png

EDIT:
And the links cos it still doesn't seem to be working lol! :eek:

https://imgur.com/QHoO16y
https://imgur.com/0jnsjZH
https://imgur.com/vIAbz9I

Thanks,
Josh

Moderators note : uploaded images to the forum and shown them full size

Last edited by a moderator:

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The shown connector is a standard connector.
The C15 I showed is for hot use.
I have one on my 2 kW water coocker.

Bertus

joshd963

Joined Nov 19, 2018
Hi Bertus,
Thanks! I didn't know about the "hot use" ones before.

So do you think it's best to have the cable coming directly from the device straight to the mains plug, rather than an IEC connector and a kettle lead?

I can't find any C15 type female or male connectors that I can mount into the housing

Thanks
Josh

joshd963

Joined Nov 19, 2018
Hi Bertus,
Thanks for the video link, that explained everything very clearly!

So looks like I will be using a C16 inlet mounted on the panel. Do you think below will be suitable and do you know how I can connect the heater element or bulbs to it?

Https://imgur.com/EkEhntR
Thanks!
Josh