wiring a potentiometer onto a mini mig welder

88ynaffit

Joined Feb 22, 2022
Hi I am new here and I could really use anyone's assistance or advice or anything that may point me in the right direction.
I have a mini mig welder, the circuit board burned up a while ago, and I still haven't found a replacement, but in the mean time I have taken a 12v battery and wired it straight to the 12v dc motor that powers the wire feeder on the welder.
now my problem is that it comes out way to fast. I have taken the potentiometer out that came on the welder so that I could wire it so that it controls the speed of the wire feeder.
There are 3 wires on it. Yellow, Blue and Red, I just need to know which wire goes where.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Hi I am new here and I could really use anyone's assistance or advice or anything that may point me in the right direction.
I have a mini mig welder, the circuit board burned up a while ago, and I still haven't found a replacement, but in the mean time I have taken a 12v battery and wired it straight to the 12v dc motor that powers the wire feeder on the welder.
now my problem is that it comes out way to fast. I have taken the potentiometer out that came on the welder so that I could wire it so that it controls the speed of the wire feeder.
There are 3 wires on it. Yellow, Blue and Red, I just need to know which wire goes where.
Welcome to AAC.

You can't use that part directly as your speed control. You need a motor speed controller. Do you have the specifications for the motor?

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
Maybe a PWM motor speed controller would work; you can buy those on ebay for a few bucks. Or if you have a junked variable speed cordless drill, salvage the speed control module and change the trigger pot to a regular rotary one.