Wiring 5v to a 12v powersupply

Brad Morgan

Joined Apr 13, 2018
I have something with these specs

Voltage:5V
current:0.8A

And I want to wire it into :
12v 5A PSU

Would it be fine to just put it directly into the positive and negative termials of the 12v psu without problems? Whats the restrictions here if any when wiring to psus?

I don't know much about wiring yet and am about to do quite a bit of research in the next month or so.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
On the other forum you were told that powering a 5V USB powered device with 12V will blow it up. A resistor is not a voltage regulator.
You need a 5V regulated power supply for the 5V device.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
The real question is: How long your 5 volt device will work when powered from 12 volt source?
When you answer this question, you will have to decide if that is long enough.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
I have something with these specs

Voltage:5V
current:0.8A

And I want to wire it into :
12v 5A PSU

Would it be fine to just put it directly into the positive and negative termials of the 12v psu without problems? Whats the restrictions here if any when wiring to psus?

I don't know much about wiring yet and am about to do quite a bit of research in the next month or so.
What's the reason you want to put 5V on a 12V psu output?

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
I just finished a project (no documentation, no photos) where I took a 5 volt adapter that you plug into a cigarette lighter and get 5 volts out. I needed 3 volts so I modified the circuit to give me just 3 volts. If you just connect something that requires 5 volts to a 12 volt power source you'll see a brilliant flash and maybe some smoke. Then all will go quiet.

Take a 5 volt light bulb and connect it to a 12 volt source and see what happens. It won't explode, but it won't work for more than a few milliseconds.

Just so happens I had some of those 12 volt to 5 volt adapters laying around. They're plentiful and cheap. If you need 5 volts then get one of those plug in types. Don't be afraid to disassemble it to access the board. You'll have the proper voltage and I believe they provide sufficient current for whatever it is you're attempting to do.

Remember: Right is right and wrong is - well - it isn't right.