Wireless transmitter and receivers

Bm1

Joined Nov 23, 2019
What can I do to boost the range between an rf wireless motion sensor and the receiver please?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Welcome to AAC!
If the Tx and Rx are in fixed positions you could use directional antennas.
Increasing the Tx strength (if legal/possible) would increase range.

Bm1

Joined Nov 23, 2019
Thanks Eric, can I just add the new antenna wire to the existing or should I remove any of the existing antenna as the clip said the length is critical?

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
Remove the existing antenna carefully, so that if need be you can reuse it.
Also keep the RX away from any electrically noisy equipment in order to minimise any interference.

Use a Vertical antenna.

E

Update:

Bm1

Joined Nov 23, 2019
Can I just ask a question about “pairing” the motion sensor to the receiver. If I only have one sensor and I want to put the receiver on a timer, do I need to pair at all? I assumed pairing is only for when you have more than one sensor on the same receiver?

Bm1

Joined Nov 23, 2019
I thank you both Alec and Eric, it’s been a pleasure to have joined a proper forum, I hope to speak again.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
I have a pair of these modules, never used, I prefer the HC12.
If you have a problem I will get them out and check the antenna connections.
E

Bm1

Joined Nov 23, 2019
Eric, that’s what I want to do . You wouldn’t happen to have the diagram or pointers and I can start from scratch? I was initially going to try and boost the signal/distance of an existing system but I’m starting to think it might be an idea to build a simplistic setup!

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
This is the user HC12 document, as you can see its a 5V TX/RX module, with 99 selectable channels, in the 400MHz band
It uses R232 data format, mine is set for 9600 baud, which is about 1000characters/sec.
The range is very good even with the small coil antenna.
You could easily program a Arduino Nano module for the TX and RX modules.
Using a Arduino enables the security system to be 'smart'
I use the PIR detector outputs, which are +3Vout when activated, connected to an Analog input of the Arduino.

Look thru this PDF.
E

Attachments