Will this Sub-Woofer run in 230v?

smaji

Joined Apr 17, 2021
Hi,
I bought an LG Sound Bar with sub-woofer in US. The speakers have power adaptors and run both in India (230v) and US (120v). However the sub-woofer takes raw power and there's a sticker pasted which says 120v. Looking at the circuit can anyone share some knowledge on whether this will run in 230v? I googled with EBJ63030301 (written on the transformer) and it says Switching Transformer. No more information. Attaching a picture of the PCB. Thanks in advance.
IMG_20210417_194354.jpgIMG_20210417_194354.jpg

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
This should be addressed in the owners manual. If you don't have it, it's worth searching for. Or you could even ask the support folks at LG. Either way, you'll need the precise model number and possibly the serial number.

smaji

Joined Apr 17, 2021
The owner's manual says look at the label on the woofer (which says 120v). Never tried reaching support folks but I doubt if they will tell me something more than the manual says.
The only reason I am guessing this might work is, apart from US the product was available in UK/Australia. These countries do not run on 120v.

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
We do not see the circuit, we see a photo of the printed circuit board. The best we get is a subtle clue based on the text about the fuse. That tells us to replace with the same rating, and that implies to me that there are two different fuse sizes, based on the mains voltage. Since universal power supplies do not need a fuse change, I think that this is a single voltage device. So a step down transformer will be needed to operate it on 230 volts.

smaji

Joined Apr 17, 2021
We do not see the circuit, we see a photo of the printed circuit board. The best we get is a subtle clue based on the text about the fuse. That tells us to replace with the same rating, and that implies to me that there are two different fuse sizes, based on the mains voltage. Since universal power supplies do not need a fuse change, I think that this is a single voltage device. So a step down transformer will be needed to operate it on 230 volts.
Thanks for your input. Yeah that fuse is 5A 250V. I was not aware universal power supplies don't need a fuse change.