Will my newly constructed power inverter work?

layxide11

Joined Jul 30, 2015
Hello guys
I just constructed a power inverter using a scrap 650W UPS. I didn't do much building it anyway, i only removed the latching on its battery and i connected it using a single core corper wire to a 12V/75A car electrolyte battery. When i charged it, it worked and lasted a while to light load of 110W. Please i need to know if this connection is right. Also, if i can still use this same construction to light up my entire house (about two 1hp air condition, one 1.5hp air condition, one fridge and an extra load of like 1.5KW) by increasing the number of batteries. Please i would like to know what hazzard this could cause as well.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
With air conditioners and refrigerator or freezers add up your wattages and then multiply by 4. That's the minimum continuous duty rated inverter capacity you need.

For battery capacity add up all wattages then double that then multiply that number by the number of running hours you need and divide that number by your battery volts to find your minimum amp hour capacity you can get by with.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Hello guys
I just constructed a power inverter using a scrap 650W UPS. I didn't do much building it anyway, i only removed the latching on its battery and i connected it using a single core corper wire to a 12V/75A car electrolyte battery. When i charged it, it worked and lasted a while to light load of 110W. Please i need to know if this connection is right. Also, if i can still use this same construction to light up my entire house (about two 1hp air condition, one 1.5hp air condition, one fridge and an extra load of like 1.5KW) by increasing the number of batteries. Please i would like to know what hazzard this could cause as well.
The total energy you can get from an inverter is limited by the size of the transformer. If that transformer and its driving circuit are designed for 650 W, then that is the limit. Adding extra batteries means it will run longer, not drive a larger load. Your total load comes to around 4500 W, so your single inverter is not enough.

The hazard is that of having a bunch of large, liquid-acid batteries laying around with exposed very-high-current terminals, that produce poisonous gas.

ak

layxide11

Joined Jul 30, 2015
The total energy you can get from an inverter is limited by the size of the transformer. If that transformer and its driving circuit are designed for 650 W, then that is the limit. Adding extra batteries means it will run longer, not drive a larger load. Your total load comes to around 4500 W, so your single inverter is not enough.

The hazard is that of having a bunch of large, liquid-acid batteries laying around with exposed very-high-current terminals, that produce poisonous gas.

ak
Thank you very much. Your points were well articulated and very clear enough for me to understand.