Will MPLab 8.92 work with MPASM later than v. 5.54

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I use MPLab 8.92 for Assembly program development. The installed version of MPASM is 5.51. * I believe the latest version of MPASM that came with MPLab 8.92 is v.5.54. The only difference is a correction for an error that affects the 16LF1788/89 chips.

However, as best I can tell, MPASM 5.60 is included in current versions of MPLabX. Apparently that version covers more chips. Will it run with MPLab 8.92? Can one simply map that version from MPLab 8.92 or is it better to install it in the MPLab 8.92 folder?

John

* I thought I had updated my system and don't know why my version of MPASM is just 5.51.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I do not see why not. Why not try it and see?

MPLAB is designed to take the output from many compilers and assemblers and use their output. These are actually separate stand alone programs that MPLAB just captures their output.

I don't have MPLAB here to see where you change the setting of what compiler/assembler you are using, but I am sure the help manual describes this.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I do not see why not. Why not try it and see?
That was my original plan too; however, two potential problems came to mind, which is why I posted the question:
1) I can't find 5.60 as a separate download on the Microchip site. That may just be me, as there is a lot on the Microchip site that I can't find that supposedly should be there. In terms of chip applicability, the newest chips are presumably covered in 5.60.
2) An active user (WP100) on another site had a serious problem getting MPLab 8.92 to run after he installed/uninstalled the current version MPLabX. That makes me a little shy of that approach.

If you know how to get 5.60 directly without installing the newer IDE, that would help.

John

jayanthd

Joined Jul 4, 2015
Yes, It works. I have tried it. I have both MPLAB and MPLAB X with C18, Hitech Compilers and XC Compilers. When I have to use MPLAB with C18 I choose MPASMWIN of MPLAB X and also mplink

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Yes, but can 5.60 be downloaded without MPLabX?

Here's my search result:
upload_2016-10-14_10-53-58.png

I tried just searching on it plain and got about 150 non-relevant hits.

John

jayanthd

Joined Jul 4, 2015
I have mpasm 5.68. If you need I can attach it here. I have MPLAB X 3.40 latest and mpasm is from that install or maybe the mpasm is from the XC Compilers install. I have the latest XC Compilers.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Thank you for the kind offer. I will keep it in mind.

Quite awhile ago, I installed a beta version of MPLabX and tried it. Ran into problems using Assembly and never went back. Maybe my safest bet is to update that version (if I can), as that also has a current mplink in it. The MPASMWIN version with it is 5.61, which I will try first before doing anything else on the MPLabX front.

John