Why say AC current, not just AC?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The culprits are likely the Illuminati, the thirteen men from Geneva who secretly run the whole world. Gotta watch those suckers every minute! First, it's a "permanent press" setting on the iron, next they sneak in "peacekeeper" missiles! :D
Repeat after me,

There is no Illuminati. There is no Illuminati.

davebee

Joined Oct 22, 2008
I tried an experiment once when I asked a few people where the nearest "AT machine" was, and nobody knew what I was talking about!

But everyone understood "ATM machine". (ATM = automated teller machine)

I think it's how language is processed; our brains accept a sound like "AC" or "ATM" to be a new complete word, separate from its acronymic origin, so we don't hear the redundency.

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
I tried an experiment once when I asked a few people where the nearest "AT machine" was, and nobody knew what I was talking about!

But everyone understood "ATM machine". (ATM = automated teller machine)

I think it's how language is processed; our brains accept a sound like "AC" or "ATM" to be a new complete word, separate from its acronymic origin, so we don't hear the redundency.
It is the way people learn how to call something.

Ratch

Joined Mar 20, 2007
thingmaker3,

If indeed "alternating cycle" was the original intent, what does it mean? Do the cycles take turns? Are alternate cycles different from one another? Since the alternation takes place within each cycle, perhaps we should say "alternating within cycle" (AWC) or "alternating cyclically?" (At least it wouldn't be "alternative psychic!")
An alternating wave goes above and below a fixed level, usually zero, and is symmetric. And, of course, cycle means it repeats. Symmetry is implied, otherwise any wave that is not staight DC would qualify as AC.

Ratch

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Beg to differ - any waveform that crosses the zero axis is AC. If it does not cross that axis, it is DC, no matter the appearance. Symmetry is neither implied nor necessary to have AC.

suntop

Joined Feb 9, 2008
Do you have a problem with that? You ain't the inventor/scientist of AC current ?
so, just say it. If you can invent something and you name it lets say DUMB*** then people will keep saying that name. Or any new Unit (If some day we hope you may invent something like Faraday or Tesla !!!) you invent then name it Jack. People would say 5 micro Jack, 20mili Jack etc. Got it?

DonQ

Joined May 6, 2009
Does current actually have to flow for it to be alternating current? What is it that is at my power outlet when there is nothing plugged in?

[Pet-peave]
"2-cycle" and "4-cycle" engines... 4-stroke cycle!

RPMs= Rotation per MinuteS...
[/Pet-peave]

I think AC is AC because things like *TTEPAPTNPBNNRR just got to be too much to remember.

And in the end... Why is a tree called a tree?

*The Tendency of an Electric Potential to Alternately be Positive Then Negative Possibly But Not Necessarily in a Repeating Pattern)

DonQ

Joined May 6, 2009
Ouch, forgot to duck...

Water flows, rivers exist... But does the river also flow to the sea? (I never watched a river exist to the sea.)

I would think current flows, voltage exists... Like gallons/minute is how much flows, and gpm isn't there unless it does flow; but psi can exist independent of the flow.

Maybe this means that Amps flow, but current doesn't? It's all getting much clearer now.:D

Just more entries from the Department of Redundant Redundancy.

Don't get me started...

Flammable vs Inflammable (Same thing? Boy, did I learn that lesson the hard way.)
RPMs (Per Minutes? arrrrgggh!)
Irregardless. (Don issues a silent SCREAM!)

b.shahvir

Joined Jan 6, 2009
:D

Actually AC means 'Account'. VAC means the potential difference one's bank account has to bring one to the streets in one second.

AC current means 'Current Account'

P.S I know this is bad humor, but it's the best i could do! ;)

Ratch

Joined Mar 20, 2007
DonQ,

But does the river also flow to the sea?
Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

I would think current flows, voltage exists... Like gallons/minute is how much flows, and gpm isn't there unless it does flow; but psi can exist independent of the flow.
You would be wrong. Both voltage and current exist, and they are two different things. What does pressure have to to with river water flow?

I just thought...

What does AC Voltage mean. Is it actually a measure of power?

VAC? Now I'm really confused...
You are right, you are confused. Voltage is the energy density of the charge, as in joules/coulomb. It is not a measure of power, which is energy gain/loss per unit of time.

Ratch

Nanophotonics

Joined Apr 2, 2009
One can have a voltage source and no current, but the other way round is not possible. Likewise, a force causes an acceleration and certainly not vice versa.

Thanks