Why is English so difficult?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The short answer is: because English borrowed the best and worst from every other language.
I would say it was Impressed on rather the borrowed, ;)
England has been occupied by more than a few races and each left a residue of their language.
One of the last was French in 1066 when it was ordered to be the official language of the Royal Court.
Max.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
As a Spanish speaker, How do you see Catalan language?
I used to visit the Balearic's and supposedly that is Catalan, but I used my limited Spanish in it with no problem.
Max.
Somewhat funny. It sound, sometimes, like somebody forgot to implement complete words. To me, some of them seem to be ending rather abruptly.

On the other hand, we spanish speakers like to listen Brazilian Portuguese... it's got a very likeable sound to it... especially when spoken by a sexy woman.... :);)
In 30 years, I been to Brazil, at least once. From the very North to South. In full agreement César.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
The language in Iceland is as if the people in Norway got isolated over 1000 years ago so it got influenced much slower. ;) My friend moved to Norway in his 30's and got pretty much fluent in 2 years.
We're Vikings! Oorah!

I've actually read some of Snorre Sturlason's work, escpesially Prose Edda. My boat is named after a God from that time periode. I wanted it to be named Honir. This is the name of one of the Gods that's going to live after Ragnarok. It's a family boat, and that name is not so friendly, so.... It's named Kajsa. After a wind godess. Yes, it's a sailboat.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
I think this book gives an interesting background as to some of the quirks of English. They compiled references of variations in written works of the time and made it the standard for the language. :eek:

upload_2018-1-27_9-17-11.jpeg
A memoir about how the Oxford English Dictionary was compiled by James Murray and the invaluable contributions over a 20 year period by Dr William Minor, a person who turned out to be a criminally insane murderer and prisoner at Broadmoor.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Just a dumb question to you Spanish speakers and Vikings. Do your cats and dogs bark and meow in English? :D
Not dumb at all.

Your dogs say: Woof woof and your ducks: quack quack.
My dogs say: Guau guau my ducks cuac cuac. Training them in English (or any foreign language for the case) is rather expensive. Maybe César Millán knows how. :D

Last edited:

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I think this book gives an interesting background as to some of the quirks of English. They compiled references of variations in written works of the time and made it the standard for the language. :eek:

View attachment 144498
A memoir about how the Oxford English Dictionary was compiled by James Murray and the invaluable contributions over a 20 year period by Dr William Minor, a person who turned out to be a criminally insane murderer and prisoner at Broadmoor.
While Googling people who purchased "that book" also purchased this one........

The Meaning of Everything The story of the Oxford English Dictionary.

kv