Why Does the Universe Exist?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Whatever the reason, it can’t have anything to do with us. We’re what, one part per million trillion of the mass? Far less than that even, but you get my point. If we had proof we were truly alone, that might change things. We have no such proof.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
The Universe exists to provide you with an unlimited variety of GAMES to play.

And the odd thing is, is that,
the vast majority of people are desperately clamoring for ANY GAME they can "find",
even if they don't really like it,
while they are actually surrounded by unlimited GAMES everywhere.

Somehow,
most of us have allowed ourselves be duped into thinking that Games are SCARCE.
They are most definitely NOT SCARCE.

The only thing that you really need for a GAME to exist, is to "not-know" something.

You actually DO know everything,
you're just pretending like you don't so you'll have plenty of GAMES to play.

As soon as you determine that you've gotten everything figured-out,
you just talked yourself out of having any GAMES to play.

The only possible way that there can be NO GAMES, ( for You ),
is if you actually start knowing EVERYTHING that's going to happen,
BEFORE it actually happens.

If you truly believe that you can't play any GAMES,
you will simply revert to playing the GAME of literally being bored to DEATH.

Believing that you can't play a GAME = Death,
which is just a different type of GAME, which,
by the way, you will eventually recover from.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
There is no Universe. It is just a figment of your imagination.

or maybe...

If a tree falls in a forest and there is no one around to hear it, does it make a sound?

visionofast

Joined Oct 17, 2018
so, it'd say the same thing as what shown in movies like matrix,
rules and regulations in this world can be mapped to other ones by endless mapping matrixes

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
https://writings.stephenwolfram.com...t-some-perspectives-from-our-physics-project/

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
It's a reality show for aliens :)

More seriously, given a sufficiently random and all encompassing process with enough time, maybe all universes can come into existence including those that have us doing things that we are not doing now and possibly for each quantum of what we call time for now.
We learned a long time ago that energy can not be created or destroyed, but apparently that's not the case anymore. Things can pop in and out of existence. Given enough time maybe some things start to congeal into larger things, and then larger things, and then still larger things.
Coupled with this is the ideas of just what exactly is "existence". We know it sort of like the age of the universe, but we have absolutely NO idea how long universes have been coming into existence and maybe even disappearing again. What if it was an unfathomable amount of time that we can hardly comprehend. To start, say a number of years equal to a googleplex up to the power of a googleplex, and that is just the start of trying to comprehend how long things have been happening that we have no idea about yet and maybe never will. If that's not long enough, then take that and take it up to it's own power, and then again and again. It would surpass the age of our measly universe.
Given that much time who knows what can happen. If there is some random process that is evolving amazing things can come out of it. Even it it is not completely random (which might be a requirement) things that happen in constructive ways can build very complex structures.

So maybe we should ask where the building blocks come from and what processes might be taking place over eons of time that are capable of creating complex structure. In fact, i think that is what we are doing today in research such as the standard model and a unified theory of everything.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
That virtual particle pop in and out of existence is a matter of opinion. As usual there are several camps on this subject.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/3az8g3/ok-wtf-are-virtual-particles-and-do-they-actually-exist
If quantum mechanics is like the children’s book Clifford the Big Red Dog, then QFT is the Necronomicon, bound in skin—far more arcane and complex.

With QFT being so accurate, it is clear that there must be some kind of reality to it. Perhaps the question then is not so much whether virtual particles are real, but what exactly the general picture of reality is, according to QFT.
https://profmattstrassler.com/artic...ysics-basics/virtual-particles-what-are-they/
Virtual Particles: What are they?
The term “virtual particle” is an endlessly confusing and confused subject for the layperson, and even for the non-expert scientist. I have read many books for laypeople (yes, I was a layperson once myself, and I remember, at the age of 16, reading about this stuff) and all of them talk about virtual particles and not one of them has ever made any sense to me. So I am going to try a different approach in explaining it to you.
The best way to approach this concept, I believe, is to forget you ever saw the word “particle” in the term. A virtual particle is not a particle at all. It refers precisely to a disturbance in a field that is not a particle. A particle is a nice, regular ripple in a field, one that can travel smoothly and effortlessly through space, like a clear tone of a bell moving through the air. A “virtual particle”, generally, is a disturbance in a field that will never be found on its own, but instead is something that is caused by the presence of other particles, often of other fields.
ALIENS?

Last edited:

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hymie:
I might, just might someday understand why the universe exists.

But I will NEVER be able to explain why women become upset without an obvious reason.
Does a grain of sand understand why or how the beach got there?

As to the second statement, women are more inventive than men (har har har) :=)

Here is something interesting from Wikipedia:

In physics, a virtual particle is a transient quantum fluctuation that exhibits some of the characteristics of an ordinary particle, while having its existence limited by the uncertainty principle. The concept of virtual particles arises in perturbation theory of quantum field theory where interactions between ordinary particles are described in terms of exchanges of virtual particles. A process involving virtual particles can be described by a schematic representation known as a Feynman diagram, in which virtual particles are represented by internal lines.[1][2]

Virtual particles do not necessarily carry the same mass as the corresponding real particle, although they always conserve energy and momentum. The closer its characteristics come to those of ordinary particles, the longer the virtual particle exists. They are important in the physics of many processes, including particle scattering and Casimir forces. In quantum field theory, forces—such as the electromagnetic repulsion or attraction between two charges—can be thought of as due to the exchange of virtual photons between the charges. Virtual photons are the exchange particle for the electromagnetic interaction.

The term is somewhat loose and vaguely defined, in that it refers to the view that the world is made up of "real particles". It is not. "Real particles" are better understood to be excitations of the underlying quantum fields. Virtual particles are also excitations of the underlying fields, but are "temporary" in the sense that they appear in calculations of interactions, but never as asymptotic states or indices to the scattering matrix. The accuracy and use of virtual particles in calculations is firmly established, but as they cannot be detected in experiments, deciding how to precisely describe them is a topic of debate.[3]

Last edited: