why do my pc always re-start

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Does it every boot all the way up? What version of Windows? Are you on a high speed connection to the internet, and, if so, what antivirus software do you run? Do you use file sharing sites?

Bear_2759

Joined May 23, 2008
this is my day job, so I can help out here with confidence.:D..

a few questions,

1. as beenthere asked what version of windows are you using?
2. how far through the startup process do you get? eg does it get to window's logo then restart?
3. is it consistent? eg every time, random, or after the PC has been running for a short period of time(5min or so)
4. how much do you know about PC's? (this will help with how I word my instructions;))
5. how old is the PC?
6. most importantly, do you get an error before it restarts?

this can quite often happen with the following two scenarios

1. corrupt files used for boot process (most likely)
2. dead (or dying) motherboard, most often "popped" capacitors
3. dead CPU fan, or old thermal paste (to draw heat away from CPU)

while there are other thing's that can cause this there is a 95% chance it is 1 which can be fixed with a few minutes of work.

triggernum5

Joined May 4, 2008
Those are steps you take when the event isn't occurring at the same point, and before the pc could be overheated..
We need 'detailed' answers to the questions already asked before its possible to solve..
Except I think I may have experienced the exact problem before with XP Home.. It was rebooting about when the tray icons finished loading.. Trying to remember if a solved that one, or if I just ended up wiping it..
Another question, is it rebooting instantly, or does xp pop up that death countdown?

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Check if the fan of the processor and the power supply are working otherwise the CPU or power supply gets hot and shuts down. Also, if the computer is old, switch off the outlet and remove the heatsink of the CPU to clean it. Dust on the heatsink prevents the CPU to cool down properly.

mkbutan

Joined Sep 30, 2008
do your computer Cabernet have the temp.sensor in it if thear then pl ck the same or remove it.
pl let us know till what point your sys. boots
what is the ver. of your windows
what was the last programs or H/W you have instated on the sys.

mkbutan

Joined Sep 30, 2008
to run the a/v you need to boot the sys with cd/dvd of a/v
i am using quickheal total security 2009.
but i think your problem can be solve by replacing your sys. ram