Why do most companies prefer c++ over C

mukesh1

Joined Mar 22, 2020
Hi

I have searched through a lot of job posting ads and found that most recruiters’ prefer C++ over C language in embedded system

I do not understand What is the reason that they are doing projects in C ++?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Hi

I have searched through a lot of job posting ads and found that most recruiters’ prefer C++ over C language in embedded system

Good question. I don't know the answer. Why don't you ask them?

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
"Despite being truly object-oriented, supporting procedural programming makes C++ much like a hybrid programming language. Being object-oriented means that C++ enhances productivity as well as the organization of the code. ... This is because it has a higher level of abstraction than the C programming language. "

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Hi

I think you're evaluation of C++ .v. C is suspect. C++ is a modeling language and many embedded systems use C. If anybody says they are C++, well, they are C, as well. C++ is essentially and extension of C, not a replacement. If you aren't modeling, C++'s abilities beyond C are of limited usefulness. In fact, most people who prefer C++ over C aren't modeling- they'are just lazy and prefer to make the compiler manage their poor coding practices or code discipline issues. IMHO. Undersand that I am NOT against C++. I'm against how people misuse it to solve their own limitations.

Historically, from a technical standpoint only, the only issue with C++ was regarding object size to to dumb-linking. As linkers got smarter, this was pretty much alleviated.

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
It's just my personal experience, I have been to a few interview lately. The ad (using done by a recruitment agent) is looking for someone with C++ experience, but when I was at the technical interview, they are all embedded C questions.

xox

Joined Sep 8, 2017
Well for one thing C++ is a much more powerful language than C. And of course these days it can be compiled down to pretty much anything C can, which is basically why it's seen a major resurgence in recent years. And modern hardware doesn't struggle with it either like you might see in the past. More memory, faster clock cycles, etc.