Who buys into the Cloud concept?

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
I think it's all in keeping up with marketable products. M/S themselves have stated that thier OP is too burdensome for mobile devices. To break it down into subfunctions that can be delivered on demand, may give them opportunity to provide a usefull product. The huge popularity of downloadable apps onto your mobile devices, along with the trend to video one's daily lives, makes remote servers a must. It's really not that much different than me leasing server space to run a large database. Serving an html interface to remote users. Thin clients found huge popularity with internal 'cloud' configurations.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
One app that is definitely cloud based, but rarely referred to that way, is web based email. Given that offline readers like outlook is so dern easy to hack (and is) it is a practical solution. As is people still manage to swap viruses even though it isn't as easy.

I still use hotmail, but I am not fond what they keep doing with it. They want to make it a firm part of the cloud, IM, social media, and more. No thanks. If it gets bad enough I do have other email addresses waiting.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
One app that is definitely cloud based, but rarely referred to that way, is web based email. Given that offline readers like outlook is so dern easy to hack (and is) it is a practical solution. As is people still manage to swap viruses even though it isn't as easy.

I still use hotmail, but I am not fond what they keep doing with it. They want to make it a firm part of the cloud, IM, social media, and more. No thanks. If it gets bad enough I do have other email addresses waiting.
I've got about 4 waiting ;)
look into some cheap server space, $12/yr, and you get your own email domain.
How does Bill_Marsden@BillIsAwesome.com sound ;)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
No thanks. I like to be under the radar, personally. Free is also good, I will put up with a certain amount of advertising for a free product.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I have a couple web based email accounts. They are handy to give to the "known" spammers that want your email address. I check mine every now and then to clean out the "junk" email.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
last night, one of our major ISP had an explosion and fire in thier main network center. Most major businesses in the downtown core have lost thier services, including several major banks. We'll see how deep this screw up runs over the next few days.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
911 service lost for about 30k customers, two hospitals lost interconnections, some RCMP services cut, Health Services disrupted, at least one radio station silenced, Provincial registries down, it's a mess.
Scary. That's a single point failure. No redundancy. And we literally stake our lives on it. Is there a contingency plan for something like this? Imagine if a disgruntled individual were able to blow up all, or even just some, of the ISPs. It could cause a great deal of trouble.

luvv

Joined May 26, 2011
Cloud storage is pretty handy for mobile devices w/ limited storage or in the case of some browsers,boosting performance.

Myself,I use my free cloud storage for nothing but internet cat pictures:)
amazon cat.jpg

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
911 service lost for about 30k customers, two hospitals lost interconnections, some RCMP services cut, Health Services disrupted, at least one radio station silenced, Provincial registries down, it's a mess.
Yes, the scary part is the health services. In my biomed program the network management was discussed a lot all devices are becoming networked, wireless, modular, you name it. However, there are no standards in place to ensure data integrity or system connectivity. Within the hospital departments (IT and biomed) are fighting over who is responsible for network and data management of medical - there are no standards in terms of security. Patient data management is being outsourced to private companies... bet it winds up in the cloud. This is only the beginning. My advise, try not to get sick, one wrong drug library update and things get interesting.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
No joke,they are paying private doctors up $50,000.00 to sign up for electronic

billing. The more parts of the insurance plan that they can get head start on

The harder for people to make changes.If they get the medical records in the

cloud,they are in control of your life. If some one can cross the border and know

a U.S. zip code,I want you try something....google the hill burton act and enter

the zip code. Let me know if you find it. Will explain.