Who are you?

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I finished my mid-year exams yesterday so as you can imagine I have a bit of a hangover!! Just waiting on the results, but I'm keeping my eyes open for something in the summer. I won't be finished at Uni for another year after this one.

I've spoke to a few local companies, but nothings has tickled my fancy. In the long run I may have to look further a-field, i.e. abroard.

In the meantime being mod here will keep me busy (as I'm sure you now know too!) :D

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
My PhD would be another year on top of that! After next year I will be a post grad Master educated to Charter Engineer status. I then have a choice - CEng or PhD. I really should start looking at it in more detail.

I could really do with someone in the know sharing there knowledge and experience on the matter :blink:

impetey

Joined Jan 10, 2004
hello,
i'm a degreed metallurgist from Penn State-BS- '82. Did practice in major and eng'g. s'ware devel. for last 25 yrs or so. petro-chem and metals. I'm guilty of asking the stranded Cu wire resistance question and the X-mas tree light fuse burnout Q. :D look forward to interesting conversation tho my elect. acumen may be lacking i'm always willin to learn. By the way...can Buckminster Fuller objects..."Bucky Balls" be used to construct and/or gates on the nanomicron scale? B) May the quantum force be with you - petey.

Battousai

Joined Nov 14, 2003
Metallurgist? I'm taking a course on phase transformations... I thought it would be boring but it's actually not that bad. I'm actually a double major in EE and Materials Science...

The first three (old three) Star wars movies were great, these new ones suck. When I was in high school I read a lot of the star wars books, have you read the Timothy Zahn series?

impetey

Joined Jan 10, 2004
I did my senior thesis project on the phase transformations of SiN using DTA (differential thermal analysis). Absorption of specimen of energy imparted without rise in temp. indicates a phase change. It was fun to plot ones own phase diagram but time consuming generating data points. I'm a bit rusty now... pun intended :D

I agree new Starwars movies are the pits :rolleyes: I'm currently reading books written or edited by Kevin J. Anderson

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Ok, I'll stand up and say I actually like the new Star Wars films as well as the originals. I have read the Thrawn trilogy by Zahn, brilliant books. I take the Kevin J. Anderson books are the "Tales of" Series?

I'm currently reading Shadows of the Empire, set between Empire Strike Back and Return of the Jedi. Its pretty good but I'm not sure about the writing style of Steve Perry the author.

Cricky, this is different from discussing electronics!! :D

Battousai

Joined Nov 14, 2003
Senior thesis? Glad I don't have to do one of those. I can't imagine how long it took get that phase diagram. My professor is a huge thermo buff and he talks about how he could have 1000 graduate students work on measuring phase diagrams for 100 years and not get 10% of them done.

I read some books by Kevin J Anderson... although I don't remember which ones now. I remember reading one where Luke turns to the dark side... hope I'm not spoling anything. :p Did he write the rogue squadron series?

I read Shadows of the Empire and I thought it was a pretty good book. But I couldn't tell if I liked it because it took place betweeen Empire and Jedi (so the setting was good) or if I actually liked the story itself.

The "tales of" books are the newer ones they're writing, right? I never got around to reading any...

impetey

Joined Jan 10, 2004
Kevin J Anderson is responsible for The Jedi Academy Trilogy (I read the 2nd book - Dark Apprentice) and I just finished his "Tales of the Bounty Hunters" -c1996. No mention of the Rogue series on the '96 jacket of the book though. One that does sound interesting is "Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina"-KJA ed. which features that unforgettable bistro and its motley cast of patrons. Whenever I have a headache I like to sit down with a good Starwars book and take 2 AAA batteries in water (see Gen'l. Elect. forum) :)

I have inferred based on your response in Prog. Corner Battousai that you may be up on OOP. I'm currently doing self-study of JAVA. Are you familiar with it?

Also, what are your thoughts on a forum addressing the increasingly popular trend toward wireless LANs for home use. I have learned the hard way many of the pitfalls and solutions to getting one working using dLink equipment - routers,access points, range extenders. And the implementation of shared broadband access using laptops and desktops running W98 and XP. XP is particularly troublesome in that it wants to Autoconfig. your LAN ...NOT as convenient or even workable as it sounds!

'Til next time "Use the force..." :ph34r:

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I've just finished the Tales of the Bounty Hunters books - very good. Interestingly, I've never been able to get hold of the Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina, not even on Amazon, so if you know where I could get hold of it let me know :)

I read some books by Kevin J Anderson... although I don't remember which ones now. I remember reading one where Luke turns to the dark side... hope I'm not spoling anything.

:blink:

Whenever I have a headache I like to sit down with a good Starwars book and take 2 AAA batteries in water (see Gen'l. Elect. forum)

:lol: I don't know if your being serious or not!!

I'm currently doing self-study of JAVA.

Java :unsure: Strikes fear into the hearts of many a man! I studied Java along with C and, although Java is easier (IMO) than C, I have this affliction to programming full stop. In Java's defense it is a very versitile language that I found gives a good grounding for any other programming language you learn.

What medium are you using for your Java self-study, impetey?

Also, what are your thoughts on a forum addressing the increasingly popular trend toward wireless LANs for home use. I have learned the hard way many of the pitfalls and solutions to getting one working using dLink equipment - routers,access points, range extenders. And the implementation of shared broadband access using laptops and desktops running W98 and XP. XP is particularly troublesome in that it wants to Autoconfig. your LAN ...NOT as convenient or even workable as it sounds!

Maybe open up a thread in the General Electronics Chat section about this, I for one would be interested in talking about it.

'Til next time "Use the force..."

:D MTFBWY

Battousai

Joined Nov 14, 2003
Originally posted by Dave@Feb 10 2004, 04:12 AM
I've never been able to get hold of the Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina, not even on Amazon, so if you know where I could get hold of it let me know :)

Uhh... you know a long time ago I had like 30-40 star wars books and I donated them to the library. This inclues the Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina... I just had no place to keep them all... :ph34r:

I actually know C++ a lot better than Java... Since I learned C++ way before I learned Java, I found Java to be quite different since you had to switch to an object oriented style. So I still like C++. A while ago I tried to learn some windows programming and that's when I realized how much nicer Java is than C++.

Impetey- I use a Linksys wireless router and it was pretty easy to install and configure. It's been working fine for over a year now!! Have you tried the new 802.11g standard? I wonder if it's really that much faster?

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Originally posted by Battousai@Feb 13 2004, 07:54 AM
Uhh... you know a long time ago I had like 30-40 star wars books and I donated them to the library. This inclues the Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina... I just had no place to keep them all... :ph34r:

I actually know C++ a lot better than Java... Since I learned C++ way before I learned Java, I found Java to be quite different since you had to switch to an object oriented style. So I still like C++. A while ago I tried to learn some windows programming and that's when I realized how much nicer Java is than C++.

Impetey- I use a Linksys wireless router and it was pretty easy to install and configure. It's been working fine for over a year now!! Have you tried the new 802.11g standard? I wonder if it's really that much faster?
You know them books would probably be worth something now, similar to the action figures of the 1980's, many of which I had and got rid of!! Curse that need for instant cash :p

I'm the opposite, I know Java better than C. I found both difficult to get a grasp of (programming is not my area!) but am more comfortable with Java - it seems more logical to me. If I remember correctly the makers of Java looked at C and tried to iron out the problems that C inherently had. People I know who are into the Computer Sciences generally say Java over C, but then it is personal preference.

I think it would be good idea to open up the wireless LAN debate in the General Electronics Forum, it would be interesting to discuss it. *Prompt aimed at impetey!* :D

Battousai

Joined Nov 14, 2003
I know I really wish I had my star wars books back.... but I was very young and didn't have any room... ok ok I really had no reason to give them away I didn't know what I was doing!

Hey more of you people who are new to the forums should post here as well!! Dave won't bite!!!

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Dave won't bite!!!

:p :D

I know I really wish I had my star wars books back.... but I was very young and didn't have any room... ok ok I really had no reason to give them away I didn't know what I was doing!

Regret is a terrible thing! Not to rub it in, but those original books would now be worth a fortune! :(

Just a reminder, the question is: Who are you?