Who are you?

Bazmcc

Joined Jun 14, 2020
I'm Baz and i've always had an interest in electronics and i think it's time I got back into it. In the last couple of years i've built a 3 degrees of freedom motion driving simulator (using jrk motor controllers and crab pot pulling dc motors) and a couple of other small projects but i'd like to be able to add a little extra technology to my projects and knowledge to myself. I'm also a freelance web developer and I part own a couple of businesses involved in car detailing supplies.25025801_719218508272184_4944289007384133632_n.jpgIMG_0694.JPG26067485_537410723307953_5492634405551734784_n.jpg

Welcome to AAC!

What types of things are you interested in?
Increasing my knowledge of circuitry, improving my theoretical side rather than finding out from adverse experiments etc.
Recently i had learned to solder and put together my own audio system, converting 240 VAC to 12v DC with a 1000w capable supply to feed a total of 640 watts of amplification.

However i had done this before when i was younger, blew amps and all sorts.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
Recently i had learned to solder and put together my own audio system, converting 240 VAC to 12v DC with a 1000w capable supply to feed a total of 640 watts of amplification.
If you have any questions about soldering, members can critique your soldering provide tips.

Another new guy here.
Currently, I am an instructor for industrial maintenance technicians. My background is primarily industrial automation, PLC controls, motor controls, and operator interfaces.

Many many moons ago I got my start with the invisible force in the USN. I was an ETRO aboard CVN 65. If you know what that means, then you have a pretty good idea of me.

Thanks,
Joe

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
You bet. '89 to '93
I rode most of them. Worked DoD and DoE Naval Reactors. CVN 65 was an odd ship having 8 reactors the D2W type. Originally with the round island structure. Funny too in that when the keels were laid for 66 & 67 (Kennedy and America) they were to be nukes but with all the bs in congress and appropriations they ended up conventional. At sea I was what they called a civilian component of DoD. :) I started with 9 years USMC then went for the greener grass. Coming up on 8 years since I pulled the plug and enjoy retirement. I actually began with NAVAIR and only later went with NAVSEA. Looking back it was a great ride and I enjoyed it.

Ron

I am new here, but not new to electronics. If it consumes electricity, executes code, or burns chemical fuel, I'm interested in it. If it flies, that's even better!

I’ve been working with electronics and computers since I was about 12 years old. I did VCR and TV repair in college, and worked on campus repairing stage lighting and sound equipment as well.

In high school, we had only one electronics course offered to seniors. As a freshman, I approached the teacher about taking the class, and was advised I would be ‘eaten alive’ by the seniors. As a junior, I took the electronics class, got sick and missed most of the first semester, came back in December and aced the mid-term exam. My senior year in high school, I took the class again as a lab assistant and worked on the digital electronics class which would be offered after I graduated. I then went to tech school, where I tested out of my first semester electronics classes and switched to Computer Information Systems and went to UW - Stevens Point. I have been working in computers and software engineering for 30 years.

This is a picture of the electronics area of my basement shop.

IMG_20200613_213924.jpg

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
This is a picture of the electronics area of my basement shop.
Welcome to AAC (again)!

I'm envious of the amount of space you have.

I started doing electronics as a hobby about 45 years ago, but didn't start acquiring equipment (other than a power supply, analog multimeter, and a logic probe) until about 20 years ago.

I wish the local high school had an electronics class so I could volunteer. They used to have a programming class, but it got dropped. When I was in high school in the 70's, even our little school taught a class in BASIC.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
When I took high school electronics it was all about vacuum tubes. I think it was in my senior year that I presented an after-school class on JEFTs. The electronics instructor was present since he was the one in charge of teaching the subject. That was probably the first semiconductor information (other than diodes) taught at that school. Transistors had to wait until college.

Hi all, I run a guitar and amplifier repair shop in the west of Ireland. This forum has been very helpful to me on the journey, so I decided to join up. I'm here to study General Electronics, Class D amps, and Switch Mode Power Supplies. Looking forward to learning from you, and hopefully contributing myself. Great to be here, Shane

Hello all, I am a postdoctoral researcher in mathematics and computer science, and I've recently decided to try my hand at electronics -- following the purchase of a Raspberry pi -- in the hope that I'll learn something fun and create something cool.
I have a decent background in maths and programming, but my only experience in electronics consists of two courses I took in university a few years back, so I will be taking baby steps in the beginning :D
Looking forward to getting started!
Massimiliano

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
I've recently decided to try my hand at electronics -- following the purchase of a Raspberry pi
Which Pi did you get?

I built a couple LED projects with Pi Zero W (4x4x4 LED cube and a scrolling single digit clock/message display). I wish it had 5V I/O's with more drive strength...

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I got a Raspberry Pi 4, 4GB RAM.
I recommend backing up your data regularly. I have a Pi Zero W that runs continuously and it has gone through 3 microSD cards in about a year. The cards become write locked and need to be replaced. Fortunately you can get most of the data from the card, but having a current image makes it less bothersome (not having to reconfigure). That's something they did right (I used another Pi workalike called C.H.I.P. that never made it easy for us to make and install our own images). I've been using Kingston and PNY 16GB cards from reputable stores, so I don't think it's a quality/counterfeit issue...
I've been thinking about something light-related, like lights that light the way when you go to the bathroom at night
That will likely pose a wiring challenge. Battery operated LEDs with motion detection would be easier.

I immediately regretted only wiring a single 5x7 LED matrix for my clock, but it turned out okay in the end because I could also scroll the characters vertically. I also regretted starting with a 4x4x4 LED cube because used 64 bit integers for data efficiency without giving thought to how I'd extend it to 512 LEDs. I'll cross that bridge when I get around to soldering the LEDs.