Who are you?

bignobody

Joined Jan 21, 2020
With some resistors, LEDs, and a speaker, you can flash LEDs and make noise. Arduino outputs will source 20mA so they can power LEDs. With the addition of a transistor, capacitor, and a resistor, you can make sounds with a speaker.
Thanks! I've not done anything more complex than "make the LED flash" with my Arduino (basically the default test project), but didn't realize I could use it to produce sounds (though I was vaguely aware that some audio libraries exist for it). This is going on the project list!

I have a medium term goal of using it to try and operate an old SN76477NF Complex Sound Generator that I bought off Ebay a while back.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I've not done anything more complex than "make the LED flash" with my Arduino (basically the default test project),
Since Uno has analog inputs, you could use a potentiometer to provide an analog input voltage and convert that into data to drive a 7 segment display that shows the pot setting. It's simple with one display.

If you use two displays, you can display the setting with more resolution and learn how to multiplex the displays so you can drive two 7 segment displays with 9 outputs instead of 16. If you operate the LEDs at more than a milliamp or two, you'll need a couple of transistors.

If you add a BCD to 7 segment decoder, e.g. CD4511, you can do it with 6 outputs instead of 9.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Thanks! I've not done anything more complex than "make the LED flash" with my Arduino (basically the default test project), but didn't realize I could use it to produce sounds (though I was vaguely aware that some audio libraries exist for it). This is going on the project list!

I have a medium term goal of using it to try and operate an old SN76477NF Complex Sound Generator that I bought off Ebay a while back.
The Arduino C+ variant includes a function tone(), which plays a monotonic sound on a μC pin that supports PWM. You can code a similar function yourself, but the built-in function is useful.

A “must” is to book link the Arduino programming reference page.

You might also like to investigate the Arduino Music Maker shield (a “shield” is an add-on peripheral in the Arduino platform).

Also, in addition to Adafruit, check out the Sparkfun web site. Both manufacture many accessories for a variety of accessories for μCs.

Also, a final advanced suggestion, there are very small μCs. Some as small as an 8 pin DIP IC (the 555 is an 8 pin DIP IC). With a programmer, like one by Sparkfun, you can plug and program μCs such as the ATTiny series with the same Arduino IDE. This could be used to create filters on their own processor for a synthesizer such that they can be changed out easily. Or you could use one μC for each key...

The possibilities are endless.

bignobody

Joined Jan 21, 2020
Hi djsfantasi! Thanks for your suggestions. I am holding off microcontrollers for a bit, just doing some experiments with simple circuits and IC components right now - building up my soldering skills - but these will come in handy later.

The possibilities are endless.
This is the appeal! And applicable to just about any art and science :)

Ok, silly question time. What does "μC"mean exactly? I tried some googling and most of the links I found seemed to be referring to microcontroller pins, but I couldn't find an actual definition anywhere... Is it a general term for microcontroller pin, or is it a special kind of microcontroller pin (ie: analog)?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
μC is generally used as a short form of writing micro-controller.
It refers to the entire mircocontroller unit (integrated circuit) commonly abbreviated to MCU.
In other words μC and MCU are both short forms of saying microcontroller.

Hi all,

just to say hello,

my real name is Angelo, from Trieste, Italy.
I like embedded stuff, electronic, repair, design, developing fw, linux drivers, and so on.
Here to learn, to get and give help "for what i know".

A great thanks for this great and very active and populated forum,

bye
Angelo

Hi all, as I joined a long time ago, I can't remember if I posted here, a quick search under my own name brought up nothing so....

I'm a plumbing and heating engineer in London UK.

My interests are: Building amplifiers from suggestions on DIYaudio.com (because I like hifi)
Building light arrays for ATS (algae turf scrubber) which for those that don't know, these are mats that encourage hair algae to grow AWAY from the aquarium (they're lit by an array of several 660nm deep red LED's, maybe some violet too).
This is what I'll be asking about shortly.

Eddy9635

Joined May 7, 2020
Hello, I'm a technician. I don't have much knowledge but had much knowledge to start a blog about electric scooter reviews and hoverboard reviews. I hope I can get knowledge and solutions which I can deliver to my visitors on my blog. Thank you.

Mod: Blog link deleted.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
@Eddy9635 Welcome to AAC! I've learned a number of new things after becoming a member and freshened knowledge of some topics I had either forgotten or never learned in school.

Hiya!

I'm a new student of electronics! If you or someone you know in the Seattle area offers private tutoring, please do contact me! I'm reading books about basic electronics now. Soon I'll need hands-on instruction for things like soldering and draining energy out of dead appliances. S m a l l possibility of two or three person-sized class.

Thanks,
Marty

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
If you or someone you know in the Seattle area offers private tutoring, please do contact me! I'm reading books about basic electronics now. Soon I'll need hands-on instruction for things like soldering and draining energy out of dead appliances. S m a l l possibility of two or three person-sized class.
It's unlikely that anyone in your area will expose themselves to strangers for the small amount of money they'd make tutoring.

Welcome to AAC!
It's unlikely that anyone in your area will expose themselves to strangers for the small amount of money they'd make tutoring.
Everything is negotiable. I understand some people are introverted, this request is to extroverted, or else persons otherwise motivated.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I understand some people are introverted, this request is to extroverted, or else persons otherwise motivated.
It's not about personality. It's about the risk/benefit analysis to expose yourself to coronavirus. Under more normal circumstances, I'd gladly teach someone how to solder. Now, you couldn't pay me enough to do it.

It's not about personality. It's about the risk/benefit analysis to expose yourself to coronavirus. Under more normal circumstances, I'd gladly teach someone how to solder. Now, you couldn't pay me enough to do it.
Mm-kay, refer to last response. The notice was directed towards those motivated.