Which Microcontroller for a begginer with my needs?

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Get some 16F5x chips. The datasheet is only 50 pages, no pheripherals at all. You can use better chips later.

Or start directly with 18F, 24F, PIC32.

Depends what you want to do with the controllers.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
If the OP wants to be able to use interrupts, then the 16F5X family is out the window.

If you really want to learn about microprocessors, then you should start here. Microcontrollers are much easier to learn then a microprocessor is off the bat.

If all you want is to learn about the controller and how to control it, here is a link that gives you a nice little dev board. If you want to learn about how to connect it also, you should just get a breadboard and some wire, and wire it up yourself.:)

*Note: you'll need a programmer like the Pickit 2, or Pickit 3...

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
The 16f1503 (linear memory), 18F14k50 (USB), and 18f24j10 (Large 16K FLASH) are all good recommendations for entry level.

It is possible simply to use blank chips, mount them on a $1 proto PCB, and add 2xAA battery holder as well.

All of these have internal oscillator, so you don't neccessarily need a crystal. I never had crystal related problems, however.

These are also low-voltage chips, so you don't even need to switch on the PIC programmer power supply. Normally you'd also add a battery switch.

OP could get some starter components from eBay: switches, LEDs, pushbuttons, proto boards, battery holders...

Atmel chips can be used with Arduino, but normally it is programmed in C, you don't have so much assembler access as for PICs.

The chips I mentioned are so cheap you could buy 5 to 10pcs. of each. Get some 16F5x as well, as they are so easy to configure. The price is so low you can simply bury them in a circuit, and don't ever have to pull them out from breadboards.

When you have learned how to use PICs, you also can use more expensive chips.

I have all these components here by the way, never counted my PICs but there are many which I don't use now, some mounted on adapters, some removed from old circuits, some brand new.

For some people evalution boards are good, but I don't like the fact so much I can only use them for a single circuit. If I want to build something else, I can't use the circuit I built anymore. For this reason, I never used such boards, built all my PIC stuff from blank chips. Never had serious trouble, except with the PICKIT2 some years ago, and I also used non-standard ICSP.

It's as simple as to solder a 6-pin row header, connect to the chip, and connect to the PICKIT programmer.

The Arduino for instance has a USB bootloader. I also have one here! But it is far more expensive than circuits built from single components, as well includes a lot of stuff which simply is not needed.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Ok,
Right now i dont care so much about how much pins the uC has.

Could you suggest me any nice and tested good kit to start out with a very good guide or tutorial how i can start step by step?

**i want to add that:
i dont start uC because i want to be professional and i dont search about the uC which i could make more money.
I just start because it will help me to undestand how a pc works.How the cpu co-opperates with the peripherals,what each one of the peripherals do,how the communicate,what is an interupt and how we handle and program it.So i want it for education reasons.
And then to make same simple projects and if i want more i will have the experience to choose a new uC if i want.
If you can afford it. The PICKIT 3 debug express will be just fine. Then you have worn the demoboard out. You can still use the PICKIT 3 to debug and program most other pic (with a F in the name like PIC 16f88)
A more budget friendly approach will be the MPS430 kit. Both kits are prebuilt. And will work out of the box

elissaios

Joined Nov 7, 2012
GUYS kitha pickkit3 i could be able to program 16F84A and16F628 right??

I will buy pickkit3 and 16F84A and 16F628.
Also i will search for an lcd,wires,breadboard,resistor,capacitors,wires pontesiometer,transistors,diodes,leds and what other is needed?
(i dont know what sizes of all these components i have to buy.For example resistor 1kΩ,2κΩ and what other sizes?the same with capasitors and go on)

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
GUYS kitha pickkit3 i could be able to program 16F84A and16F628 right??

I will buy pickkit3 and 16F84A and 16F628.
Also i will search for an lcd,wires,breadboard,resistor,capacitors,wires pontesiometer,transistors,diodes,leds and what other is needed?
(i dont know what sizes of all these components i have to buy.For example resistor 1kΩ,2κΩ and what other sizes?the same with capasitors and go on)
To answer your question, yes, the Pickit 3 can program those devices...
there is, however, much dissension about whether the Pickit 3 is any better, if not worse, than the Pickit 2, but that's personal preference.

Useful Components
Note: this is a list of my most used components

Wire
Use 22-24AWG, solid core wire

Resistors
330Ω
1kΩ
1.5kΩ
10kΩ
1MΩ

Potentiometers
10kΩ
1MΩ

Capacitors
10μF
100μF
0.1μF

Transistors
2N2222(NPN)
2N3906(PNP)
2N7000 (NMOS-Enhancement mode)

LEDs
5mm LEDs

Diodes
1N4001
I can't remember the other diodes at the moment..:(

This should be enough to get you started!:D

Hope this helps!

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
For the easiest and cheapest developement board I would suggest you the msp430 launchpad, for $4.30 I don't think there is anything with better value for the money.
Easy to program in C or assembler, and has almmost anyhting you might want to use. see http://www.ti.com/tool/msp-exp430g2

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Could you suggest me any nice and tested good kit to start out with a very good guide or tutorial how i can start step by step?
I did. Follow the link in my previous post. PICkit 2 or 3 debug kits are very good.

tshuck's list is fine, I would add a 1N4148 to the diodes. However, I wouldn't get anything till you get the basic development board working. That's a few days/weeks of work (and fun too), and you'll have a better idea of what direction you want to go.