Which Aoyue 888 vs YIHUA 862D+ beginner SMD hot air station

Macgyverman

Joined Mar 28, 2017
Hello all,

I'm just beginning my foray into integrated circuits; although I've been tinkering with electronics for years.

I've recently come across a project requiring the replacement of a 0.8mm pitch QFP chip. I've done a lot of reading, and it would appear having a hot air station would really help with this.

Given that I'm only tinkering, I don't feel like investing hundreds of $$$ on a station.
I've come across the two budget priced stations and can't decide.

Aoyue appears to be a reasonably sized company with mid-range products. This product seemed really cheap, so I was worried it was a knockoff. I communicated with the company and they confirmed it's their budget priced product which they build exclusively for SRA soldering.
https://www.amazon.ca/Aoyue-888A-Di...7?ie=UTF8&qid=1490705810&sr=8-7&keywords=888a

Yihua seems a bit more unknown, but there are reviews of it indicating it's a good product, if you fix the wiring. (They swapped the neutral and hot wire)
https://www.amazon.ca/WeberDisplays...?ie=UTF8&qid=1490705859&sr=8-1&keywords=yihua

Any feedback would be appreciated.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

I have an Aoyue Int2702A+ and it has worked well for me.

I wouldn't buy any "good" product known to have manufacturing issues that weren't fixed by the manufacturer. You never know if it has some that haven't been discovered...

Make sure you get an appropriate nozzle for the package style you want to remove.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I have used neither of these, first glance they look fine.

I use an 878D I got off EBay, inexpensive and both the tip iron and the hot air wand are available for replacement. (I stepped on the tip, still going god on the air side.)

I only use these occasionally for home hobby stuff. I have people for that at my job. ;-)

But do look if replacement parts are available.

Also, check if they can use Hakko tips or some other first rate type. Cheap tips burn out so fast they are useless.

Macgyverman

Joined Mar 28, 2017
Thanks for the information guys!

I might just get the Aoyue, at least I know the company responds to their clients (they answered an email in a few hours) and they confirmed that it's their product. The Yihua has many odd clones out there, which worry me.

I like that the Yihua has spare heating elements, but I have never burnt one out in a soldering iron before.