where to source PDLC mixture?

Firstname Lastname

Joined Nov 2, 2017
Can anyone suggest anywhere to source PDLC mixture? It is used in smart films and smart glass. Is made of some polymer and liquid crystal.

http://www.canaanchem.com is the only company I found and their sales is pita to talk with, refuse to give any kind of information on the requirements (tooling, etc.) for proper usage of the mixture unless you buy a $1300 sample bottle. How am I expected to buy a sample if I don't know whether I'll need a $10000 equipment to apply it beforehand??

So yeah, if anyone can find a different manufacturer or supplier that would be great...

Firstname Lastname

Joined Nov 2, 2017
I could maybe work with them if they had more than one sales manager answering emails. I hate hating on people but she's like a robot with no logical reasoning replying with copy-paste responses like "this is company policy", "minimum sample is $1300" and "usage instructions will be provided only after you buy sample". Come to think of it this is all she replies with, kind of like a chat bot.

Firstname Lastname

Joined Nov 2, 2017
Very nice find Danko.
I discussed with them and will get a sample shipped after the chinese holidays.

Any ideas how the mixture is applied to the plastic film?
The only provided info was suggested thickness for the mixture and UV glue mix should be between 15-20 nm. Not sure what equipment can be used for applying such a creamy liquid evenly and at a specified thickness.

I know this is not much about electronics, but this is controlled with electric field and PCB will come after I figure this out.

Firstname Lastname

Joined Nov 2, 2017
Thanks. That machinery looks huge and only something a factory might afford.
That said I haven't finished going through the articles you linked to.

I did not expect to find usage of glass spheres also known as glass beads here, because they introduce retro reflections and what are used for when mixed with road and road sign paint. Must be really small amount used otherwise a lot of backlight will just bounce back to the emitter and burn it.

Danko

Joined Nov 22, 2017
These beads do not interact with light because they are much smaller than light wavelength (15-20nm versus 400-650nm). No refraction, no reflection.

Last edited:

Firstname Lastname

Joined Nov 2, 2017
Sorry but supplier suggested layer thickness of PDLC of 20-30 micrometer, not nanometer. I don't understand how a nanometer spacer can help with micrometer-scale layer. Unless the link is talking about LCD screens, not PDLC.

Firstname Lastname

Joined Nov 2, 2017
Okay, I finally went through all of the articles.

Patents mention a method of applying coating via "rollers". And few of them mention usage of 5-20 um (micron/micrometre, not nanometre)
glass beads for even spacing. So even spacing across the sheets is likely controlled by those. Admittedly the wording especially in the chinese patents is confusing but they don't mention what kind of rollers they are talking about. If we want the thickness to remain the same after being rolled we will either need to apply something like a thick glass sheet on top of the PETs and PLDC sandwitch and rely on the spacers for the uniformity and apply UV light through the thick glass.
OR
quickly cure the glue as the sheet sandwhich is coming out from the other side pf the roller.

These are the only two options I can think of.