where does this wire go in this drill

spoty

Joined May 29, 2024
So i got a hammer drill to fix up and i've seem to find the issue but cant come up with the solution
the drill has light when plugged in,but zero response to switches, after disassembling it i found this loose(looks to be cut) wire that connects to the circuit, problem is, where does it go?
the drill is metabo brand but i cant find the model
the drilling system looks like a compressor with a piston and crankIMG_20240529_230038.jpgIMG_20240529_230152.jpgIMG_20240529_230147.jpgIMG_20240529_230141.jpgIMG_20240529_230134.jpgIMG_20240529_230055.jpg

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
I assume that the wire in question is the red wire in the last photo. To the left of the unattached end of the wire is a female connector seated on a male connector but it appears that there is no wire attached to it. I would assume that this is what the wire used to be attached to.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I would guess that the wire in question is either the skinny brown wire or the cut-off black wire. The red wire going to a brush holder on one end appears to be a field wire. If the hammer drill motor is not reversible, probably one brush is connected to one side of each field coil. And one other picture seems to show a variable speed control trigger switch.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
I would guess that the wire in question is either the skinny brown wire or the cut-off black wire. The red wire going to a brush holder on one end appears to be a field wire. If the hammer drill motor is not reversible, probably one brush is connected to one side of each field coil. And one other picture seems to show a variable speed control trigger switch.
I guess the wire is brown. It looks like red in the photos.

spoty

Joined May 29, 2024
So sorry for not specifying the cut wire in the pictures, it is this wire in the fourth picture. All other wires have a connection.
the red(brown) wire in the last photo is connected to the male connector which looks like its empty.

Attachments

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The larger diameter RED wire ends in an insulated push-on connector to the brush holder, the other end enters the motor and connects to the field winding.
The thinner brown wire appears to have a broken off connection on the open end.. Where does the other end of that thin brown wire go to?? Knowing where the wire comes from may help in knowing where it should go to.
And once again we are only shown part of the circuit.
What is obvious is that the brown wire went somewhere, but what we are shown is only the broken off end, and NOT the possible places it may have connected to. Another case of only being shown part of the problem.
And still, what about that very obviously cut off black wire??

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
It will also help to show the areas of that end of the motor not shown in the views we already have. Also a bit more detail about the switch. Is the hammer drill reverseable?? Are there any other switches besides the trigger switch??

spoty

Joined May 29, 2024
thank you all for the replys, here is the information i should've included
-the drill is not reverseable but it does have this switch with a big and small hammer which im guessing means power level
-it only has a trigger switch as the drill/hammer modes are controlled mechanically with a ring and sliding gear up top

Attachments

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I did not see any switch in the opening with the big/small hammer graphics Is it possible that somebody has modified this tool and removed some of the parts?? I have come across tools modified by the unknowing before.