whats the difference?

Tony357

Joined Mar 24, 2015
I am trying to make a motor using coils and was given a 4017 IC to add to my 555 timer circuit and I'm am having problems. I've seen a circuit similar to mine and it uses a 4022 IC.

Can anybody tell me whats the difference and can i still use the 4017 the same way?
for some reason I can not load pdf's to compare.

Thank you.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
It seems improbable that you could freely substitute one of them for the other, especially not after the circuit has been constructed. Do you know the difference between a Johnson Counter and an ordinary counter? Another name for a Johnson Counter is a twisted ring counter. They can be implemented with a shift register and an inverter and they have the property that only one bit changes for each change of state. This is important if the states are being decoded to avoid false decodes.
For a 4-bit counter the state sequence is
0000 > 0001 > 0011 > 0111 > 1111 > 1110 > 1100 > 1000 > 0000 and repeat forever. The number of unique state is 2 times the number of bits. So a 5 bit Johnson Counter would have? That's right 10 unique states.

Tony357

Joined Mar 24, 2015
It seems improbable that you could freely substitute one of them for the other, especially not after the circuit has been constructed. Do you know the difference between a Johnson Counter and an ordinary counter? Another name for a Johnson Counter is a twisted ring counter. They can be implemented with a shift register and an inverter and they have the property that only one bit changes for each change of state. This is important if the states are being decoded to avoid false decodes.
For a 4-bit counter the state sequence is
0000 > 0001 > 0011 > 0111 > 1111 > 1110 > 1100 > 1000 > 0000 and repeat forever. The number of unique state is 2 times the number of bits. So a 5 bit Johnson Counter would have? That's right 10 unique states.
Hi therei have not constructed the circuit as of yet but i was just wondering if the 4017 can do what the 4022 can do?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hi therei have not constructed the circuit as of yet but i was just wondering if the 4017 can do what the 4022 can do?
Clearly not, if you need ten states an eight state counter won't do the job. Did you actually read what I wrote? Did you understand it?

Tony357

Joined Mar 24, 2015
Clearly not, if you need ten states an eight state counter won't do the job. Did you actually read what I wrote? Did you understand it?
I did read it but didnt understand I thought that you meant that was another way it can be used and was giving a example

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I was trying to describe the two different parts mentioned in your original post. That was the gist of your original question -- right?

Tony357

Joined Mar 24, 2015
I was trying to describe the two different parts mentioned in your original post. That was the gist of your original question -- right?
Yes and no, I'll try and explain; I am using the pulse from the 555 timer circuit and then trying to divide it by 7

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Having an idea of your objective, it's my belief that either the 4017 or 4022 could be used in a circuit for your requirement. The circuit would use different pins on each IC however. Do you know why? Can you show a circuit using the 4017 as a start?

Tony357

Joined Mar 24, 2015
Having an idea of your objective, it's my belief that either the 4017 or 4022 could be used in a circuit for your requirement. The circuit would use different pins on each IC however. Do you know why? Can you show a circuit using the 4017 as a start?
Its a simple led chaser circuit and i have realised pin 3 nest to pin 8 is actually 13. To answer your question are the pins on the 4017 and 4022 in different places7-Led chaser cct.jpg

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I'm on a phone, so can only make a quick look. But generally, it looks like your 4017 circuit. I believe by now, you could also do it with a 4022. So, is your original question answered?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
We've seen this circuit and this question before. If you replace the LED with a copper coil you will be trying to send 9V/100 Ω = 90 millamperes through the coil. The 4017 wont allow that much current to flow and will drop it's voltage or let the magic smoke out. But hey if you want to try it by all means be my guest.

Tony357

Joined Mar 24, 2015
We've seen this circuit and this question before. If you replace the LED with a copper coil you will be trying to send 9V/100 Ω = 90 millamperes through the coil. The 4017 wont allow that much current to flow and will drop it's voltage or let the magic smoke out. But hey if you want to try it by all means be my guest.

i've made this with a few mods but ran into problems and could really do with as much advice as poss. can u help ? and i will try explain as much as i can

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I can't do much to help you push large currents through copper coils with 4000 series CMOS devices. It just is not possible and whoever convinced you that it was possible is a fibbin'

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I thought the circuit and question was familiar.

The coil is a load and the LED is a load. How would you connect them? What's different between the two loads?

There are a couple major differences. The current required to operate each device is different. So you'll need an appropriate driver. Secondly, you'll need to protect your IC. From inductive spikes.