Whats the difference between DATA

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
An example of brain scramble is, when I'm told that: [ Serout PORTC.5, 9600, 0x24, 0x45, 0x49, 0x47, 0x4e, 0x51, 0x2c, 0x52, 0x4d, 0x43, 0x2a, 0x32, 0x34 ] is sending binary values, when to me they look like HEX and to me binary looks like %10101010, just does not compute.
What you are having a hard time understanding is that hex and binary (and decimal) are just different representations of a number and are conceptually the same.

Just like in language. Red means the same as rouge in French or roja in Spanish. The words look different but they mean the same color.

In numbers, compare decimsl to English, French to hex and Spanish to binary.

Take the number 20… In hex, it is 0x14 and I’m binary, it is 0001 0100. But the all mean he same numerical quantity.

In the case of your two methods, one (SEROUT) was using numbers such as 20 and the method using msg2 was using words such as twenty. You can easily translate between words and numbers… computers not so much.

You need to remember this. It’s important.

camerart

Joined Feb 25, 2013
What you are having a hard time understanding is that hex and binary (and decimal) are just different representations of a number and are conceptually the same.

Just like in language. Red means the same as rouge in French or roja in Spanish. The words look different but they mean the same color.

In numbers, compare decimsl to English, French to hex and Spanish to binary.

Take the number 20… In hex, it is 0x14 and I’m binary, it is 0001 0100. But the all mean he same numerical quantity.

In the case of your two methods, one (SEROUT) was using numbers such as 20 and the method using msg2 was using words such as twenty. You can easily translate between words and numbers… computers not so much.

You need to remember this. It’s important.
Hi D,
I do understand this, and I have a ringbinder with pages of spreadsheets, with DEC-OCT-HEX-BIN-SYMBOL-and Description, that I look at most days, to decipher what 'that' odd number is, which guides me to where I want to go most times.
My problem is muscle memory, it simply doesn't stick. I have reminding CODE snippets, that I copy and paste, into test programs, till something happens in the right direction.
The thing is, apart from headaches, I do enjoy it, and am making progress, on a project that is simply impossible for me.
Cheers, thanks for staying :)
C

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I’m confused now? You said

“An example of brain scramble is, when I'm told that: [ Serout PORTC.5, 9600, 0x24, 0x45, 0x49, 0x47, 0x4e, 0x51, 0x2c, 0x52, 0x4d, 0x43, 0x2a, 0x32, 0x34 ] is sending binary values, when to me they look like HEX and to me binary looks like %10101010, just does not compute.”​

Yet you said In your last post that you DO understand. I.e., it DOES compute.

camerart

Joined Feb 25, 2013
I’m confused now? You said

“An example of brain scramble is, when I'm told that: [ Serout PORTC.5, 9600, 0x24, 0x45, 0x49, 0x47, 0x4e, 0x51, 0x2c, 0x52, 0x4d, 0x43, 0x2a, 0x32, 0x34 ] is sending binary values, when to me they look like HEX and to me binary looks like %10101010, just does not compute.”​

Yet you said In your last post that you DO understand. I.e., it DOES compute.
Hi D,
Yes, it is confusing, but as you know every comma and dot has to be 100% for things to work.
I may understand that I can look at my sheets and cross reference BYTEs and ASCIIs, but not as I'm programming, this is why I take so long.
An example would be that with SPI, the BITs could be transmitted little endian or big endian, I'm pretty sure it's little endian, but I haven't proved it yet, and if it doesn't work, I'll have to make sure, or it could be something else that's stopping it. Anyway, that what's next.
C
C