What was that?

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I caught the very end of the National Anthem ahead of the AFC championship game. It has to be the worst rendition since the one by Rosan Barr.

K7GUH

Joined Jan 28, 2011
I cannot remember the last time I heard the national anthem sung properly, on key, all the notes performed as written, with proper respect.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I cannot remember the last time I heard the national anthem sung properly, on key, all the notes performed as written, with proper respect.
What upsets me more is all of the drunken idiots that start cheering 3/4 way into the song. I doubt they are cheering the song., they just want the game to start.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Uh, have you looked at your avatar lately? :D
Hee heee heee :D
look who's talkin'

Well it is OK to be a drunken idiot just not a drunken idiot that starts cheering halfway into the anthem. :)

And then there are the fools that bring that stupid cardboard D and the big fence to the game. How would you like to pay $100+ for a ticket and get seated behind a couple of those idiots?

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
He got the words right.

The problem with picking "stars" to sing is they always add a bit of their "style" to it, which sort of massacres the tune.

I do like that we are the only country with rockets and bombs in our National Anthem, though. :D

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
I thought Tyler's rendition was quite good. He was in key. He was in tune. He hit all the notes and got the words right. He sang it true to his art form, which is rock and roll, of course. If you don't want a rock and roll voice to sing the Anthem, then don't invite a rock and roll singer to sing it.

Even more important - he sang it will respect, in that he did his best.

Note that he sang "a cappella" which is no easy thing to do, and it's not an easy song to sing anyway. Also, the rock-and-roll-roughness and screamy-nature of his voice was brought to force on the relevant parts of the song. It is a song about an intense battle, let's not forget. I would even say that his voice and style are more appropriate to the song than the best operatic tenor or soprano.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I think it was a minor disgrace to the anthem, but it wasn't 100% tyler's fault. Whoever put the halftime show together should have thought "what would it really sound like if steve tyler sang the national anthem?" - because what I heard is exactly what I would have expected from him.
Everybody who sings it feels the need to "add their own flair"; exercising their own "artistic license" to morph the anthem into what they perceive that the audience wants to hear or what the audience expects from them. I'm sorry, but the anthem is not to be made a caricature of. There is only one way to sing it.