what to do

adanb

Joined Jan 14, 2008
i have a 480 panel and i am running some H.I.D lights off of it they are 277 volts there is a yellow wire for the neutral (common) is that ok or does it need to be changed to white

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
You need a licensed electrician to do it for you.

This isn't something for novices to fiddle around with.

If what you do with that panel causes a fire or other heinous damage, it's highly likely that the insurance company won't pay, because it wasn't done by a licensed electrician. Not to mention, you could get slapped with a huge lawsuit.

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
You need a licensed electrician to do it for you.

This isn't something for novices to fiddle around with.

If what you do with that panel causes a fire or other heinous damage, it's highly likely that the insurance company won't pay, because it wasn't done by a licensed electrician. Not to mention, you could get slapped with a huge lawsuit.
Law suit because of? This is different from country to country. This probably happens in United States.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Law suit because of? This is different from country to country. This probably happens in United States.
Sadly, Americans are indeed lawsuit happy.

Yellow is an American designation for one of the hot wires. The neutral must be white or gray to satisfy an inspector.

This work should be performed only by a licensed electrician.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
In regards to lawsuits, yes indeed I'm in the U.S. You can't swing a dead cat here without hitting at least a couple of lawyers - who will then proceed to sue you. :rolleyes:

In all seriousness though, a 480V service panel is nothing to trifle with. If you happen to make a mistake, you won't get a 2nd chance.