What should I use for securing components on PCB to give mechanical strength

Yami

Joined Jan 18, 2016
Hi everyone,
I'm looking for a solution to secure components on a VOX amplifier, I am hoping to get suggestions that would be available from the local hardware stores.
I have had bad experience with 'hot glue' it often gets dislodged.
Some of the components I need to secure does get quite hot, not boiling hot! (couple of 5W resistors).
The research I did on the internet points to natural cure silicon, and also I came across the term RTV, and a local technician suggest 'gasket silicon'. I got myself a bottle and I wanted to see whether it was conductive. I noticed that when applied it has a liquid-ish kind of consistency.
I have included some pictures of the options I could find from the local hardware stores.
Thanks in advance for the help.

Attachments

Ylli

Joined Nov 13, 2015
Careful, many of the silicone/RTV adhesives release acetic acid during cure. That can be corrosive to some components. What you want is Electronics grade RTV, such as GE RTV 162. Not sure if you want to 'encapsulate' any devices that get too hot.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I use E6000 or hot melt. E6000 takes overnight to cure but is very tenacious to most materials. It will not peel off like silicones will. Hot melt may not work well with something that gets really hot. Don't know about E6000.

Yami

Joined Jan 18, 2016
Thanks everyone for your response

@jpanhalt - I bought a tube of E6000 and tried it on a scrap board. It was really runny, and it spreads quite a lot. Is that normal.

How can I make sure that acetic acid is not released, does neutral cure mean that it won't release the acid? How can I test this?

Thanks again for the help

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Thanks everyone for your response

@jpanhalt - I bought a tube of E6000 and tried it on a scrap board. It was really runny, and it spreads quite a lot. Is that normal.

How can I make sure that acetic acid is not released, does neutral cure mean that it won't release the acid? How can I test this?

Thanks again for the help
The formulation of E6000 may vary by locale and concerns about VOC's. The stuff i get is not "runny". It is more fluid than toothpaste and more like mustard.

That has never been a problem for me. Take a waste component, add a dab, put it on a PCB and let it cure at least overnight. Then try to remove it. If you need to remove, a fine SS wire cuts it just fine. I use it to attach batteries (and other things) to enclosures. It sticks extremely well to itself. So, when changing batteries, I cut the old one out and just add a new one. Sure, you may need fixturing until it cures. Masking tape or gravity does great in that regard.

I love the smell. It has a sweet, organic smell which is a little like carbon tetrachloride, but not so harsh. If you have smelled perchoroethylene (PERC) or trichloroethylene, the smell is very similar. If yours smells more like ethyl acetate (fingernail polish) or bananas, then it has a different formulation. It is still worth a try.