What kind of transformer is this?

Chillum

Joined Nov 13, 2014
Is this valuable? I hope so 'cause I need a good one, and have been postponing buying one, got a customer account discount card at my local electronics store (fort777.co.za), 10% discount, but still, if I could harvest this! It's from an old UPS that just stopped working, now I checked for fuses, none that I can find is blown;

say if you need more pics

the battery is 12v, that means it steps down from 230V to 12V, yes? not much use then, have many switching 12V AC adaptors (wall warts)

noob... how do I go from here? testing wise, without electrocuting myself

Attachments

Last edited:

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Looks like a standard 50/60 hz transformer, the red,white,yellow wires look like the input, and the others are the outputs.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Ohm for the highest impedance winding and which wires are connected as other windings. Apply some voltage to the high impedance input and measure what comes out the other windings. I think Dave sees this as the output transformer, which would make the fat wires the input and some skinny wires the 230 volt output. I see it the other way. Some pair of skinny wires is the 230V input and the fat ones are the low voltage to charge the battery. If you can't tell the difference, don't even bother testing it. The results won't do you any good and you might get hurt.

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
I think there is a higher possibility that this is an inverter transformer that converts 12V up to 230Vac. The wiring will tell the tale.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
It's an Inverter Tx. If it is 12V one I think you can get around 7VAC or so but with center tap it could be more than that.
U need to series connect the HV side to tht as a 220V to 12V one

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
When the power fails you chop up the current from the 12V battery and run it through a step up transformer to get 230VAC.
Yeah I unserstand that but whats the use of it when you can plug stuff directly in the outlet and have higher current available. I would only use this transformer if I wanted to stay safe and not to play with high current.I'm talking about salvaging the transformer and not using it for UPS.