What is the use of a grounding stick

Sumit Aich

Joined Dec 3, 2016
in a single phase system
suppose there was no ground stick at power generating station .
then there would be no reason for a person to get an electric shock.
no need for ground wires.
only live and neutral wire for domestic supply.
why is the neutral wire connected to earth at generating station

Last edited:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
suppose there was no ground stick at power generating station .
then there would be no reason for a person to get an electric shock.
no need for ground wires.
only live and neutral wire for domestic supply.
why is the neutral wire connected to earth at generating station
Show us a diagram of exactly what you mean.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The basic premise is safety.
There is basically 5 systems that are permitted, but not required by regulation to be grounded.
If you require an in depth explanation of the system of earth grounding, I suggest you obtain a copy of Soarse Book of Grounding which is published by the International Association of Electrical Inspectors and is used by the NEC and CEC for definition.
I obtained my last copy from AbeBooks clearing house, extremely cheap.
It is a very in depth subject.
Max.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Here's my take on it.

As you say, if the systems were not grounded then we could touch a live power line and, ideally, nothing would happen. So by grounding the systems we increase the risk of that particular kind of hazard (and, as a result, get a number of people killed every year that otherwise might not). But we also significantly decrease the risk from other hazards because now many common system faults that would easily kill people immediately result in a blown fuse or breaker instead as a direct consequence of the system being properly grounded. We don't hear about the number of people who don't die each year and so we lose sight of the fact that the exchange is heavily in favor of system grounding resulting in, on balance, a much safer system.