what is the physics dinamics behing inset patch antenna radiation

yef smith

Joined Aug 2, 2020
Hello,I know tha radiaton from antenna is caused by fringing field between the patch an the grong. Also i know that the length of the antenna is lamba/2 so both fringing field radiation will add together. But this are only intuition. is there some actual explanation regarding the physical dynamics of a inset fed patch antenna? Thanks.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hello,I know tha radiaton from antenna is caused by fringing field between the patch an the grong. Also i know that the length of the antenna is lamba/2 so both fringing field radiation will add together. But this are only intuition. is there some actual explanation regarding the physical dynamics of a inset fed patch antenna? Thanks.
I don't think I've ever seen a grong, but it sounds painful - LOL:eek:

yef smith

Joined Aug 2, 2020
i ment ground :) sorry.
There is a physics avout wavelengh inside the patch,somehting aboutwave amplitude of the voltage and currect and how itsets the impedance and radiation.
i'll be happy to see some intuition with that perspective.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The first piece of intuition you need is to understand is that "wave" equations, or differential equations about waves have two general types of solutions. The first kind of solution is independent of time which is why it is sometime referred to as a "standing wave". It stands in one place and at each point the wave beats up and down. The other type of solution is called a traveling wave and it is a function of time. The physics of antennas and radiation is all about the interplay of these two types of waves and the boundary conditions imposed by the physical world.

yef smith

Joined Aug 2, 2020
yes exactly ,Those standing waves set the impedance and the radiation pattern.
Is there some manual i could follow about the inset feed,how it effects the standing waves and how it impoves impedance?
same thing about the radiation pattern ,why at half wavelength length we get optimal directivity?(standing wave)

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
yes exactly ,Those standing waves set the impedance and the radiation pattern.
Is there some manual i could follow about the inset feed,how it effects the standing waves and how it impoves impedance?
same thing about the radiation pattern ,why at half wavelength length we get optimal directivity?(standing wave)
I dunno. If you want to learn about that sort of stuff you should probably start with some foundational material like:
Kraus, John D., Antennas, McGraw Hill, Boston, 1988

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Patch antennas are old school.
G.A. Deschamps, “Microstrip Microwave Antennas,” Presented at the third USAF Symposium on Antennas, 1953