what is the chemical formula for zinc phosphate?

alfachemistry

Joined Feb 24, 2017
Zinc phosphate (Zn3(PO4)2) is an inorganic chemical compound used as a corrosion resistant coating on metal surfaces either as part of an electroplating process or applied as a primer pigment (see also red lead). It has largely displaced toxic materials based on lead or chromium, and by 2006 it had become the most commonly used corrosion inhibitor. Zinc phosphate coats better on a crystalline structure than bare metal, so a seeding agent is often used as a pre-treatment. One common agent is sodium pyrophosphate. So what is the chemical formula for zinc phosphate?

Last edited by a moderator:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
We have self-driving cars, and now self answering questions copied from an obvious source. What's next in the world of trolling?
Interesting idea, actually. Maybe a forum such as this one should use an AI to find answers to obvious questions at wikipedia, google, etc. Many fora search within themselves for answers. It shouldn't be too big a leap to draw on outside sources.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
There is also Manganese Phosphate, which is interchangeable with the zinc version for most applications.

I wonder... Where, oh where, could a curious fellow, such as myself, find the chemical formula for this miracle corrosion inhibitor?

Maybe that electronics forum will have the answer!

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Maybe that electronics forum will have the answer!
If you think it's goofy around here, take a look at Quora. It seriously makes me wonder about the future of the human race. However wide you thought the bell curve was, visiting Quora will widen it. Thankfully, that's true on both tail ends.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
No thanks. I try hard everyday, to side step the piles of stupid I come across. When I'm caught unawares, and step in warm smelly pile by accident, I cast around to find a suitable safe space doorway on which I can scrape my shoes off.

I don't go to those places on purpose. It might be contagious and I'm not current on those vaccinations.