What is the best book for using MPLAB & interfacing to load binary data from PC to microcontroller?

GN-z11

Joined Jun 19, 2017
Sorry if I'm not in the right place for this but what book is best recommended to navigate my way through MPLAB by means of selecting the appropriate microcontroller before compiling code and interfacing the resulting binary file to microcontroller? I've read books covering microcontrollers and assembly/C code for the PIC family but none of them cover the MPLAB IDE navigation and interfacing. Thank you!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If the PIC in question is supported by Pickit 2 there is a Pickit 2 v 2.61 stand alone pgm for downloading a HEX file.
Not sure what you are looking for?
Max.

GN-z11

Joined Jun 19, 2017
I'm just looking for a book that covers all of that, and the steps to go about doing it--from the usage of MPLAB, Pickit, and explanations of the proper circuitry interfacing to get that HEX or binary file to the microcontroller.

Raymond Genovese

Joined Mar 5, 2016
Sorry if I'm not in the right place for this but what book is best recommended to navigate my way through MPLAB by means of selecting the appropriate microcontroller before compiling code and interfacing the resulting binary file to microcontroller? I've read books covering microcontrollers and assembly/C code for the PIC family but none of them cover the MPLAB IDE navigation and interfacing. Thank you!
It's a very broad question. Lots of chips, programmers and even MPLABs.

Technically, one way of navigating your way through MPLAB and related hardware is to use Microchip's site via Developer Help.

If you want something to get your feet wet, so to speak, there are some very good tutorials here (I think some of them are free) and they go from the basics of code through programming using MPLAB.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
First off MPLab is long past dead. Long live MPLabX!

I don't know why on earth you would need a book to to learn to download hex files to a chip. It is awfully straight forward. You can do it right through MPLabX IDE or the MPLabX IPE application. Microchip has help on how to use their product but I never had to look at it. Just loaded the software and figured it out.