What is the best analog simulator according to you

KanchanB

Joined Jul 19, 2014
Hi
I have recently installed LTSpice simulator, yet I would like to know which is the best freely available analog simulator.
Please suggest a good analog simulator. If possible, provide a simulator link and justify why you feel it is a good simulator.

Thank you.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
LTspice is a very good free simulator and is used by many on these forums. There are other free simulators, but I'm not aware that any are "better". It somewhat depends upon your needs.

KanchanB

Joined Jul 19, 2014
I do not know about circuit simulators.
I just want to know which all simulators are present to start with.
But from replies it seems that I am on correct track :)

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
How is the component selection? Every time I turn around I have to add components to LTspice, and it's kludgy for that. Not a huge thing, but I'd love something better.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
In my cursory check of Tina it appeared to have fewer components than LTspice.
Don't know how easy it is to add new ones.
To get something better than LTspice, it will likely cost you. Free only gets you so far. :rolleyes:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
How is the component selection? Every time I turn around I have to add components to LTspice, and it's kludgy for that. Not a huge thing, but I'd love something better.
Looks like/says you can import any Spice model directly from any manufacturer that has a Spice model for their component.

dannybeckett

Joined Dec 9, 2009
I've been trying to get an analogue simulator to correctly simulate a decompensated op amp oscillating at gains low enough to make it unstable (i.e. configuring it as a non-inverting buffer with the input grounded), yet no oscillations occur... do any of you know of a simulation package that would accurately simulate this behaviour?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I've been trying to get an analogue simulator to correctly simulate a decompensated op amp oscillating at gains low enough to make it unstable (i.e. configuring it as a non-inverting buffer with the input grounded), yet no oscillations occur... do any of you know of a simulation package that would accurately simulate this behaviour?
Most Spice simulators should show that. What's the op amp?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The one in question is the ADA4637, though I tried with a few uncompensated op-amps in the LTSpice library!
Try doing the transient simulation with the Skip initial operating point solution checked (UIC) or the Start the external DC supply voltages at 0V checked in the Edit Simulation Command window. Alternately generate a small initial pulse at the input.

The default mode for simulators is usually to find a stable initial DC solution for the circuit and the oscillations won't then appear until a small (noise) perturbation is added. In the real circuit there's enough intrinsic noise to start an oscillation.