What is a good free PCB software that generates Gerber files?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Never used it.
I was using an older version of OrCad but did not want to pay the upgrade fee, I found Kicad comparable and does the job for me.
Max.

blue_coder

Joined May 7, 2016
I second what @MaxHeadRoom said, KiCad is by far the most advanced free (open source, so no strings attached) PCB design software avalavailable. Compared to Diptrace, expect an absolute headache until you have got into the swing of using it, as it's much less intuitive. I also highly recommend building your own parts libraries, as I had a couple of issues with some I downloaded (could have been an odd incident).

Last but not least, are you aware that Diptrace can also export Gerber files? This link may help https://www.pcbway.com/blog/PCB_Layout_Software/How_to_generate_Gerber_files_from_DipTrace.html

nornandxor

Joined Dec 11, 2017
I second what @MaxHeadRoom said, KiCad is by far the most advanced free (open source, so no strings attached) PCB design software avalavailable. Compared to Diptrace, expect an absolute headache until you have got into the swing of using it, as it's much less intuitive. I also highly recommend building your own parts libraries, as I had a couple of issues with some I downloaded (could have been an odd incident).

Last but not least, are you aware that Diptrace can also export Gerber files? This link may help https://www.pcbway.com/blog/PCB_Layout_Software/How_to_generate_Gerber_files_from_DipTrace.html
Oh really! If it does export Gerber files then problem is solved for me ,,, let me check the link ... thanks blue coder...
Update:
It looks like I have to update the current free version which means paying money... no thanks blue coder :)

blue_coder

Joined May 7, 2016
It looks like I have to update the current free version which means paying money
Which version of Diptrace do you have? I have the standard freeware (not for commercial use), and I can export Gerbers without any problem up to the limit of 300 pins and two layers. The problem here may be a slight misunderstanding of PCB design. What files can you currently export? Just DipTrace ASCII, DXF, etc.?

nornandxor

Joined Dec 11, 2017
Which version of Diptrace do you have? I have the standard freeware (not for commercial use), and I can export Gerbers without any problem up to the limit of 300 pins and two layers. The problem here may be a slight misunderstanding of PCB design. What files can you currently export? Just DipTrace ASCII, DXF, etc.?
Ohh ,,, good catch blue-coder ,,,, I'm using the PCB Layout of BayArea Circuits which is referred to as a Diptrace ... I just noticed that they are two different things ... the interface itself looks identical to BayArea version but I have now more option on the Export menu ,,, thanks blue-coder :);)

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
Absolute most of software is able to. However if only You are not tended to work with 12 llayer pcb in the size of 20x20 inches, the Eagle is too heavy for Your needs.
Contrary KiCAD I disliked because it demanded to learn everything by the new, (what is very common problem in Linux based softwares, take it for example the so beautiful photoshop soft as GIMP, where, if any has previous experience with any Photoshop (Adobe, Arcsoft or other) he have a permanent headache. So, the rest of most popular is FreePCB and SprintLayer. Both are roughly equal, only last exist cracked while first exist "officially" free. Thus its good benefit. But first has bit difficulcy of flood in the gnd anywhere by Flood-In method, while second have it very simple. Both have easy working with self made footprint samples - I count it VERY big advance as well the working in full "by hand only" drawing regime. For high frequency no-one automate including the quantum computer will not plan the distances and angles better than experienced hand. And for our poorly glued pcs old-timers (but there are still kubikmeters of this blessing around) we cannot expect the 0,2mm patches will be stable enough, so I need to widden it under the IC and draw it longer, let the part of patch be not covered by solder metal. So, if it be my will I had started to use a first but then realized no-one in my surrounding aren't capable to understand me, I reverted to second let be synced with them. And as far as You use to use 2-3 layers and sizes under A5 it is just what one may want.