What do you do for a living?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
As my Project Engineering Manager used to say "all a degree shows is that you know how to learn and didn't die from 4 years of boredom".
I think in today's climate it says more. It says you're probably shackled by a mountain of debt and more likely to feel lucky for the opportunity to put up with abuse.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
As my Project Engineering Manager used to say "all a degree shows is that you know how to learn and didn't die from 4 years of boredom".
Or 4-years of severe alcohol poisoning, liver damage, VD, or food poisoning - my college years rolled into a 4+ year contract with the US government - the food from college was wonderful vs the government lab cafeteria. Someone put a sign in the on-campus housing shared bathroom - "flush twice, it's a long way to the cafeteria".

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Ultimately it seems like I didn't use a lot of what I studied in college to get my degree but what I did use from school was how to solve problems. Lots and lots of problems...
Well maybe I missed out on more than I thought. It seems every problem I solve creates two new ones!

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
On the other hand, all of the engineers I hired had at least bachelor's degrees and were outstanding. I did not hire them because of their degrees but because of their experience and ability to do what I need to have accomplished. This happened because my company actively recruited from top colleges in the U.S. so that shaped my choice of selections. My point is that choosing among the top students can get you really good engineers, and in one unfortunate case, a primadonna who after being let go reformed himself. Many of the best engineers from other departments with whom we worked did not have degrees but excelled in creativity and output.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
I've found very few art history majors, comparative literature majors or college drop outs to be high quality engineers. So, in the end, I tended to hire people with engineering degrees - it greatly increased the probability of finding someone with skills I was looking for. Interestingly, I have never filled out a job application so I assume the exact degree I have has never been important.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
There is definitely something to be said for those who can teach themselves but equally as powerful is an organization that teaches knowledge and in addition, the standards. I don't think I will be successful in electronics without a formal education.
I didn't wish to imply I had nothing in the way of formal training, In early years I served an apprentice-ship and attended Technical colleges, but a great deal came from practical experience and a life time interest in the subject of Electrics and Electronics.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Hi,

What do you do to earn an income and what are your qualifications? I'm interested in reading everyone's story.
Not me but he completed his bachelor's degree in electrical engineering from Newcastle University. Then went on to continue his studies to obtain a Master's of Science in electrical engineering from The Queen's College, Oxford.

Currently his activity seems not directly related.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
I had utilized a blend of institutional and industry training through out my career in heavy industry. Formal training to acquire certifications, and personal exploration to determine general direction. I had set aside time for other areas of interest, often by taking courses. Now that I have retired from tech, I am schooling to certify to deliver realestate and legal services into a seniors market, of which I now find myself a member. That little piece of me that won’t let go has me coming around.

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
I’ve been an avid electronics enthusiast from my earliest years. I’ve started with electronics tech in the Marines doing component level repairs. I do not have an EE degree, I’ve been taking courses lately and are now concentrating on math so I can understand the white papers I’m reading. I have been designing and making useful circuits for a while and about to start a new job as a hardware engineer for a medical company next week… I’m also in talks with a military drone company who needs circuit design. I consult with other companies.

I like engineering because of the problem solving and challenges. I hope at some point to work solely on my own designs.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
"The guys who designed this just quit and its still not done."
Reading this turned my stomach. One of my least favorite spots to be in. Most of the times I have found myself there, it turned out in retrospect that I should have just started from scratch, as spending the time trying to read the mind of someone who isn't there was worse than time wasted because their ideas were bad to begin with and now my own thoughts are infected with them.
Work hard and produce tangible results and you will get there eventually.
+1

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Following the path that led a project to ruin is no place to be. It's like trying to unsnarl an impossible knot, best to just cut it out and start anew.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
The guys who designed this just quit ....... was not mentioned during the interview
Then they hire a 'consultant' at 2x the cost. If they would have given 10% more he would have stayed. If they had gotten the right equipment he would not have run away. If they had "fix it or you are fired" less often. If they would have showed him a little respect. ...........
If they had a worker qualified for the job, and not toughen a 22 year old at the problem.......
Many times the "problem" is not the design but the manager.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
I moonlighted designing TV camera and monitor products for a number of years. I had just take the job full time after moonlighting at a startup for several months. This was the case of the high profile engineer who was in charge of the company's displays had quit and they desperately need a qualified engineer on staff in order to keep the startup funded.

Talking with a fellow consultant he said "Oh, you took [deleted]'s job. He sure is great for us consultants. He goes to companies, breaks the bank with R&D capital expenditures, designs a product that almost work and then quits." [deleted] was a true Silicon Valley legend.

Yes, as a consultant I was well paid and finally induced to sign on with what to me at the time was a huge singing bonus. I don't think the extra money would have kept him at the startup because his design had quite a few problems that he probably would rather not address - not exciting and glamorous work, but as you said, great for consultants.