What do you DIY?

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I was looking for the post where the member made an electric boat motor from a toyota windshield wiper motor. Thread is too long, so I couldn't find it. Anyway, I'm afraid I'm gonna need details on that one!

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I did an interesting experiment when I replaced a truck engine. I was careful to note the adjuatments for everything I took apart, then I put it back together exactly the same (except that it was a different engine), and it started like it had lived there all its life. Turn the key, Rrr...Rrr...Vroom!

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
I did an interesting experiment when I replaced a truck engine. I was careful to note the adjuatments for everything I took apart, then I put it back together exactly the same (except that it was a different engine), and it started like it had lived there all its life. Turn the key, Rrr...Rrr...Vroom!
Back in the 70's I took a Chevy LT1 350 with a turbo 400 from a wrecked Camaro, and put it in Jeep Wagoneer. Absolutely nothing fit, had to fabricate motor/trandmisson mounts, make a custom exhaust system, rewire everything connected to the motor, etc...
It was a 1964, 2 wheel drive wagon originally, and when I was done it was a real sleeper:D

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Thats cool 12, your supposed to be able to put a normal chevy engine in a porse 944 and 928. Its a popular swap since the front engine 944 and that series was noted by many as the most balanced chasis ever made and the most perfect car balance. So you put that big chevy motor in it and you can do tons to em. The 944 and 928s are all 4 cyclinders so it makes em crazy fast.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Thats cool 12, your supposed to be able to put a normal chevy engine in a porse 944 and 928. Its a popular swap since the front engine 944 and that series was noted by many as the most balanced chasis ever made and the most perfect car balance. So you put that big chevy motor in it and you can do tons to em. The 944 and 928s are all 4 cyclinders so it makes em crazy fast.
Eh..no the 928 was V8 only actually. And who would want to put a BIG Detroit made v8 in a 928 (and ruin it). That is a mystery to me

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Eh..no the 928 was V8 only actually. And who would want to put a BIG Detroit made v8 in a 928 (and ruin it). That is a mystery to me
Then I stand corrected the 928 was a V8 the 944 was the 4 cylinder. I think their doing it with the 944's, possible the 928's. You can search it and see lots of people that have done it. Because the chevy engine is a good cheap replacemeent for a old 944. You get way more power and you really can't buy old 944 engines anymore. And if you can its still gonnna be a lil 4 banger. You can finds tons of old 944's and 928's with worn out engines for $1500-$3000. Add a couple thousand more doing a good Chevy engine swap and you have yourself a $100,000 super car. The new engine just adds way more power to a perfect body and chassis. I really want to pick up a nice lil 944 to play with. Possibly swap the motor, possibly not if I can find one for 5k under 100k miles and turbo. Otherwise I'd get a $3k one and swap it.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
A friend of mine has a 914 and he swapped in a 350hp subaru boxer engine. 4 banger, weights 1900lbs, and 350hp. I'm all about big American muscle, but that's an effin awesome car.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I still get an adrenalin rush when I drive a car with over 300 HP, but I don't dare own one. It's so tempting to use that kind of power that I'd get too many traffic tickets in a very short time.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I still get an adrenalin rush when I drive a car with over 300 HP, but I don't dare own one. It's so tempting to use that kind of power that I'd get too many traffic tickets in a very short time.
Funny thing, when I had my 540HP Trans Am, I rarely ever drove it hard. I drove my truck everywhere like a teenager, but when I got behind the wheel of the T/A, I settled down. Not 100% sure why. I know that part of it is that I felt more conspicuous. The subconscious tells you that you should probably be getting a ticket just for sitting in it, so you drive as if there's a cop around every corner. But that doesn't fully explain it. Even when I knew there were no cops around, I didn't really feel the urge to let loose. Every once in a while I would just go scary fast to justify having a scary fast car, but that was not the norm. That's a lesser part of why I got rid of it. I just didn't see the point. I felt like I was the same as those over-compensating tools with the chromed out 3' lifted monster trucks that have never left the pavement.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Just done one of the more time consuming jobs on my bicycle, replacing a spoke. Sounds like it should be easy, but the tyre has to come off, cassette has to be removed, spoke changed, then getting the wheel to run true again.
Took about an hour but probably saved me a bit of time compared to leaving it in the shop and getting a bus back. I think it would have cost £15 in the shop, but only £1 for a spoke.

tubeguy

Joined Nov 3, 2012
Just done one of the more time consuming jobs on my bicycle, replacing a spoke. Sounds like it should be easy, but the tyre has to come off, cassette has to be removed, spoke changed, then getting the wheel to run true again.
Took about an hour but probably saved me a bit of time compared to leaving it in the shop and getting a bus back. I think it would have cost £15 in the shop, but only £1 for a spoke.
Same thought as Loosewire - Only 1 hour - Wow!!! ;):)

Did this years ago....

Combine 2 contradictory traits - extreme lack of patience and wanting to true up the wheel perfectly.

You get the picture. :D

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I completely relaced the wheels for my '58 Harley, after reworking the wheel hubs to accept modern bearings. To get rid of the old style loose roller bearings they came with. Not that bad a job. Kept it true within .010".

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Yes, truing wheels takes a bit of practice, but we have badly potholed roads round here and I'm pretty heavy, so I'm getting pretty fast at it now. The important thing is to sort out any tight or loose spokes first, because otherwise it's not going to be long before another one goes.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
A FRIEND ask me to help change a hot water heater. He didn't say it

Was on a high shelf and installing a larger unit. I had a new torch with

A trigger. Being LOOSEWIRE I couldn't afford a leak. I got lucky.